- •The TCR repertoire was more stable in patients with high grade serous ovarian cancer following PARPi maintenance therapy.
- •An increase in TCR diversity after three months of PARPi maintenance may predict a better response to PARPi treatment.
- •Patients who responded better to PARPi treatment showed a decrease of high-frequency TCR clones.
T-cell receptor (TCR) repertoire diversity is getting increasing attention as a predictive biomarker in cancer patients. However, the characteristics of the TCR together with its predictive significance for high grade serous ovarian cancer (HGSOC) patients receiving poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor (PARPi) maintenance therapy remain unknown.
Twenty-seven patients with HGSOC were analyzed including 22 patients receiving PARPi maintenance therapy and 5 untreated patients as control. Peripheral blood samples were collected for TCR sequencing at baseline as well as one month and three months after the exposure to PARPi. To determine whether TCR diversity was related to PARPi efficacy, we compared the TCR repertoire between patients who had received PARPi and those who had not.
For patients receiving PARPi treatment or not, we evaluated changes in clone abundance during PARPi maintenance and the similarity of the TCR repertoire before and after the treatment. The results revealed that patients receiving PARPi had TCR repertoires that were more stable than those of untreated cases. We next correlated TCR diversity with the efficacy of PARPi in the treatment group. The rising trend of TCR diversity after three months with PARPi treatment was associated with a longer PFS (21.7 vs 7.4 months, hazard ratio = 0.19, p < 0.001) and a better response to PARPi (91.7% vs 25.0%, p = 0.004). Furthermore, we discovered that the primary characteristic with predictive value for the effectiveness of PARPi is the considerable reduction of the high-frequency T cell clones.
We suggested that the circulating TCR diversity could be a potential predictive biomarker for PARPi maintenance therapy in HGSOC.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gynecologic Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epithelial ovarian cancer: evolution of management in the era of precision medicine.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2019; 69: 280-304
- Current status and future prospects of PARP inhibitor clinical trials in ovarian cancer.Cancer Manag. Res. 2019; 11: 4371-4390
- Synthetic lethality in ovarian cancer.Mol. Cancer Ther. 2021; 20: 2117-2128
- Niraparib in patients with newly diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 2391-2402
- PARPi triggers the STING-dependent immune response and enhances the therapeutic efficacy of immune checkpoint blockade independent of BRCAness.Cancer Res. 2019; 79: 311-319
- Characterization of T cell repertoire of blood, tumor, and ascites in ovarian cancer patients using next generation sequencing.Oncoimmunology. 2015; 4e1030561
- Wrestling with the repertoire: the promise and perils of next generation sequencing for antigen receptors.Eur. J. Immunol. 2012; 42: 2834-2839
- Diversity and clonal selection in the human T-cell repertoire.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2014; 111: 13139-13144
- Investigation of antigen-specific T-cell receptor clusters in human cancers.Clin. Cancer Res. 2020; 26: 1359-1371
- The T cell receptor repertoire of tumor infiltrating T cells is predictive and prognostic for cancer survival.Nat. Commun. 2021; 12: 4098
- Peripheral blood TCR repertoire profiling may facilitate patient stratification for immunotherapy against melanoma.Cancer Immunol. Res. 2019; 7: 77-85
- Prospective identification of neoantigen-specific lymphocytes in the peripheral blood of melanoma patients.Nat. Med. 2016; 22: 433-438
- Isolation of neoantigen-specific T cells from tumor and peripheral lymphocytes.J. Clin. Invest. 2015; 125: 3981-3991
- Neoadjuvant PD-1 blockade in resectable lung cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 378: 1976-1986
- TCR repertoire as a novel Indicator for immune monitoring and prognosis assessment of patients with cervical cancer.Front. Immunol. 2018; 9: 2729
- Lymphopenia combined with low TCR diversity (divpenia) predicts poor overall survival in metastatic breast cancer patients.Oncoimmunology. 2012; 1: 432-440
- TCR repertoire diversity of peripheral PD-1(+)CD8(+) T cells predicts clinical outcomes after immunotherapy in patients with non-small cell lung cancer.Cancer Immunol. Res. 2020; 8: 146-154
- T cell receptor repertoire features associated with survival in immunotherapy-treated pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.JCI Insight. 2018; 3
- Time-spatial analysis of T cell receptor repertoire in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma patients treated with combined radiotherapy and PD-1 blockade.Oncoimmunology. 2022; 11 (2025668)
- Characterization of ascites- and tumor-infiltrating gammadelta T cells reveals distinct repertoires and a beneficial role in ovarian cancer.Sci. Transl. Med. 2021; 13
- Quantitative assessment of T cell repertoire recovery after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation.Nat. Med. 2013; 19: 372-377
- Spatial heterogeneity of the T cell receptor repertoire reflects the mutational landscape in lung cancer.Nat. Med. 2019; 25: 1549-1559
- Mechanism and current progress of poly ADP-ribose polymerase (PARP) inhibitors in the treatment of ovarian cancer.Biomed. Pharmacother. 2020; 123109661
- Characteristics of TCR repertoire associated with successful immune checkpoint therapy responses.Front. Immunol. 2020; 11587014
- Immune checkpoint inhibitors in ovarian cancer: can we bridge the gap between IMagynation and reality?.J. Clin. Oncol. 2021; 39: 1833-1838
- Ovarian cancer in the era of immune checkpoint inhibitors: state of the art and future perspectives.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13
- DNA damage and repair biomarkers of immunotherapy response.Cancer Discov. 2017; 7: 675-693
- Phase II study of olaparib + durvalumab (MEDIOLA): updated results in germline BRCA-mutated platinum-sensitive relapsed (PSR) ovarian cancer (OC).Ann. Oncol. 2019; 30 (v485–v6)
- Single-arm phases 1 and 2 trial of Niraparib in combination with pembrolizumab in patients with recurrent platinum-resistant ovarian carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5: 1141-1149
- DUO-O: a randomized phase III trial of durvalumab (durva) in combination with chemotherapy and bevacizumab (bev), followed by maintenance durva, bev and olaparib (olap), in newly diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer patients.J. Clin. Oncol. 2019; 37 (TPS5598-TPS)
- Low and variable tumor reactivity of the intratumoral TCR repertoire in human cancers.Nat. Med. 2019; 25: 89-94
- TCR Clonality and genomic instability signatures as prognostic biomarkers in high grade serous ovarian Cancer.Cancers (Basel). 2021; 13
- Tumor infiltrating lymphocytes in ovarian cancer.Cancer Biol. Ther. 2015; 16: 807-820
- Direct link between mhc polymorphism, T cell avidity, and diversity in immune defense.Science. 2002; 298: 1797-1800
- T cell receptor recognition motifs govern immune escape patterns in acute SIV infection.Immunity. 2004; 21: 793-803
- Contribution of systemic and somatic factors to clinical response and resistance to PD-L1 blockade in urothelial cancer: an exploratory multi-omic analysis.PLoS Med. 2017; 14e1002309
Published online: November 25, 2022
Accepted: November 13, 2022
Received in revised form: October 17, 2022
Received: June 17, 2022
© 2022 Published by Elsevier Inc.