- •Splenectomy adds morbidity to ovarian cancer surgery, but is beneficial if aids in complete cytoreduction.
- •Splenectomy was associated with longer surgery and hospital length of stay, as well as more blood transfusions.
- •Splenectomy was not associated with increased post-operative infection, readmission, or decreased overall survival.
- •Splenectomy quality improvement should focus on vaccinations, discharge instructions, and pancreatic fistula recognition.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- U.S. Cancer Statistics Data Visualizations Tool, Based on 2019 Submission Data (1999–2017). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute.(Published. Accessed June 6, 2021)www.cdc.gov/cancer/datavizDate: 2020
- Key Statistics for Ovarian Cancer.The American Cancer Society, 2020 (Published)
- Survival effect of maximal cytoreductive surgery for advanced ovarian carcinoma during the platinum era: a Meta-analysis.J. Clin. Oncol. 2002; 20: 1248-1259https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.20.5.1248
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy or primary surgery in stage IIIC or IV ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 363: 943-953https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa0908806
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy versus debulking surgery in advanced tubo-ovarian cancers: pooled analysis of individual patient data from the EORTC 55971 and CHORUS trials.Lancet Oncol. 2018; 19: 1680-1687https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30566-7
- Upper abdominal procedures in advanced stage ovarian or primary peritoneal carcinoma patients with minimal or no gross residual disease: an analysis of gynecologic oncology group (GOG) 182.Gynecol. Oncol. 2013; 130: 487-492https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.06.017
- Medical complications following splenectomy.J. Visc. Surg. 2016; 153: 277-286https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jviscsurg.2016.04.013
- Splenectomy as part of Cytoreductive surgery for ovarian carcinoma.Gynecol. Oncol. 1995; 58: 244-247
- Splenectomy as part of cytoreductive surgery in ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2006; 102: 369-374https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.03.028
- Splenectomy during cytoreductive surgery in epithelial ovarian cancer.Cancer Manag. Res. 2018; 10: 3473-3482https://doi.org/10.2147/CMAR.S172687
- Distal pancreatectomy with splenectomy for the management of splenic hilum metastasis in cytoreductive surgery of epithelial ovarian cancer.J. Gynecol. Oncol. 2016; 27: 1-9https://doi.org/10.3802/jgo.2016.27.e62
- Splenectomy as part of primary cytoreductive surgery for advanced ovarian cancer: a retrospective cohort study.Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 2012; 22: 968-973https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0b013e3182571479
- Splenectomy in the context of primary cytoreductive operations for advanced epithelial ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2006; 100: 344-348https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2005.08.036
- Spleen.in: Hill M. Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Surgery. 14th ed. 2014
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Cancer Institute.(Published 2021. Accessed December 10, 2021)https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fvaccines%2Fschedules%2Fhcp%2Fadult.htmlDate: 2021
- Relationship among surgical complexity, short-term morbidity, and overall survival in primary surgery for advanced ovarian cancer.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2007; 197: 676.e1-676.e7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2007.10.495
- Executive summary: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Chest. 2012; 141: 7S-47Shttps://doi.org/10.1378/chest.1412S3
- Safety and efficacy of Apixaban vs enoxaparin for preventing postoperative venous thromboembolism in women undergoing surgery for gynecologic malignant neoplasm: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Netw. Open. 2020; 3: 1-12https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.7410
- Thromboembolic risk of postsplenectomy thrombocytosis.Arch. Surg. 1978; 113: 808-809https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1978.01370190030004
- Extreme thrombocytosis in low-risk essential thrombocythemia: retrospective review of vascular events and treatment strategies.Am. J. Hematol. 2021; 96: E182-E184https://doi.org/10.1002/ajh.26137
- Management of pancreatic fistulas after a splenectomy as part of cytoreductive surgery for ovarian cancer.Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 2013; 23: 1506-1511https://doi.org/10.1097/IGC.0b013e3182a0fa66