- •Breast cancer incidence was assessed in ovarian cancer patients carrying BRCA mutations.
- •Breast cancer was diagnosed after ovarian cancer in 6.2% of patients.
- •Overall survival was not statistically different in the patient groups analyzed.
- •Routine breast surveillance may be sufficient in ovarian cancer survivors.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2018; 68: 394-424
Cancer Stat Facts: Female Breast Cancer. National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER); 2019.
- Average risks of breast and ovarian cancer associated with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations detected in case series unselected for family history: a combined analysis of 22 studies.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2003; 72: 1117-1130
Cancer Stat Facts: Ovarian Cancer. National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program (SEER); 2019.
- Risks of breast, ovarian, and contralateral breast Cancer for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. 2017; 317: 2402-2416
- Age-specific ovarian cancer risks among women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 150: 85-91
- Population attributes affecting the prevalence of BRCA mutation carriers in epithelial ovarian cancer cases in Israel.Gynecol. Oncol. 2003; 89: 494-498
- Role of Olaparib as maintenance treatment for ovarian Cancer: the evidence to date.Onco Targets Ther. 2019; 12: 11497-11506
- Breast cancer after prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2001; 345: 159-164
T.R. Rebbeck, T. Friebel, H.T. Lynch, S.L. Neuhausen, L. van 't Veer, J.E. Garber, et al., Bilateral prophylactic mastectomy reduces breast cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: the PROSE Study Group. J Clin Oncol. 22 (2004) 1055–1062.
- Risk reduction and survival benefit of prophylactic surgery in BRCA mutation carriers, a systematic review.Am. J. Surg. 2016; 212: 660-669
- Association of risk-reducing surgery in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers with cancer risk and mortality.JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. 2010; 304: 967-975
K.E. Lewis, K.H. Lu, A.M. Klimczak, S.C. Mok, Recommendations and Choices for BRCA Mutation Carriers at Risk for Ovarian Cancer: A Complicated Decision. Cancers (Basel). 10 (2018).
- Risk-reducing oophorectomy and breast Cancer risk across the Spectrum of familial risk.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2019; 111: 331-334
B.A. Heemskerk-Gerritsen, C. Seynaeve, C.J. van Asperen, M.G. Ausems, J.M. Collee, H.C. van Doorn, et al., Breast cancer risk after salpingo-oophorectomy in healthy BRCA1/2 mutation carriers: revisiting the evidence for risk reduction. J Natl Cancer Inst. 107 (2015).
J. Kotsopoulos, T. Huzarski, J. Gronwald, C.F. Singer, P. Moller, H.T. Lynch, et al., Bilateral Oophorectomy and Breast Cancer Risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutation Carriers. J Natl Cancer Inst. 109 (2017).
- Decision making for breast cancer prevention among women at elevated risk.Breast Cancer Res. 2017; 19: 34
- Risk of metachronous breast cancer after BRCA mutation-associated ovarian cancer.Cancer. 2013; 119: 1344-1348
- The risk of primary and contralateral breast cancer after ovarian cancer in BRCA1/BRCA2 mutation carriers: implications for counseling.Cancer. 2013; 119: 955-962
- Breast cancer following ovarian cancer in BRCA mutation carriers.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 1306-1313
- Risk of breast cancer after a diagnosis of ovarian cancer in BRCA mutation carriers: is preventive mastectomy warranted?.Gynecol. Oncol. 2017; 145: 346-351
- Prospective study of breast cancer incidence in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation under surveillance with and without magnetic resonance imaging.J. Clin. Oncol. 2011; 29: 1664-1669
NCCN. Genetic/familial high risk assessment: breast and ovarian. Version 2.2017. . NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. Fort Washington (PA): National Comprehensive Cancer Network; 2016.
- Breast cancer surveillance for BRCA1/2 mutation carriers - is "early detection" early enough?.Breast. 2020; 49: 81-86
- Breast Cancer surveillance following ovarian Cancer in BRCA mutation carriers.Am. Surg. 2020; 86: 1243-1247
- SOLO2/ENGOT-Ov21 investigators. Olaparib tablets as maintenance therapy in patients with platinum-sensitive relapsed ovarian cancer and a BRCA1/2 mutation (SOLO2/ENGOT-Ov21): a final analysis of a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2021; 22: 620-631https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(21)00073-5