- •Data from four randomized phase 3 trials guides frontline PARP inhibitor maintenance therapy in ovarian cancer.
- •There are now 3 FDA approvals for frontline PARP inhibitor maintenance in newly diagnosed advanced-stage ovarian cancer.
- •The aim of this practice statement is to help clinicians make evidence-based decisions for utilization of frontline PARPi maintenance.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Trapping of PARP1 and PARP2 by Clinical PARP Inhibitors.Cancer Res. 2012; 72
- Olaparib monotherapy in patients with advanced cancer and a germline BRCA1/2 mutation.J. Clin. Oncol. 2015; 33: 244-250
Gelmon KA, Tischkowitz M, Mackay H, Swenerton K, Robidoux A, Tonkin K, Hirte H, Huntsman D, Clemons M, Gilks B, Yerushalmi R, Macpherson E, Carmichael J, Oza A. Olaparib in patients with recurrent high-grade serous or poorly differentiated ovarian carcinoma or triple-negative breast cancer: a phase 2, multicentre, open-label, non-randomised study. Lancet Oncol. 2011 12(9):852–61. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(11)70214-5. Epub 2011 Aug 19.PMID:21862407.
- ENGOT-OV16/NOVA investigators Niraparib maintenance therapy in platinum-sensitive, recurrent ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 375: 2154-2164
- Rucaparib maintenance treatment for recurrent ovarian carcinoma after response to platinum therapy (ARIEL3): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2017; 390: 1949-1961
- Olaparib maintenance therapy in platinum-sensitive relapsed ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 366: 1382-1392
- SOLO2/ENGOT-Ov21 investigators. Olaparib tablets as maintenance therapy in patients with platinum-sensitive, relapsed ovarian cancer and a BRCA1/2 mutation (SOLO2/ENGOT-Ov21): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 1274-1284
- Maintenance olaparib in patients with newly diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1810858
- Niraparib in patients with newly diagnosed advanced ovarian Cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381 (Epub 2019 Sep 28): 2391-2402https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1910962
- NCCN Guidelines Version 1.2020 Ovarian cancer.Last Accessed April 12, 2020)
- Last Accessed April 30, 2020)
- A phase II evaluation of the potent, highly selective PARP inhibitor veliparib in the treatment of persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal cancer in patients who carry a germline BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation - an NRG oncology/gynecologic oncology group study.Gynecol. Oncol. 2015; 137: 386-391
- Phase I combination study of the PARP inhibitor veliparib plus carboplatin and gemcitabine in patients with advanced ovarian cancer and other solid malignancies.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 148: 507-514
- Veliparib with first-line chemotherapy and as maintenance therapy in ovarian Cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 2403-2415
- Olaparib plus Bevacizumab as first-line maintenance in ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 2416-2428
- Overall survival and updated progression-free survival outcomes in a randomized phase II study of combination cediranib and olaparib versus olaparib in relapsed platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer.Ann. Oncol. 2019; 30: 551-557
- Combination cediranib and olaparib versus olaparib alone for women with recurrent platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer: a randomised phase 2 study.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 1207-1214
- FDA label for olaparib and bevacizumab.https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-approvals-and-databases/fda-approves-olaparib-plus-bevacizumab-maintenance-treatment-ovarian-fallopian-tube-or-primary
- Efficacy and safety of olaparib monotherapy in germline BRCA1/2 mutation carriers with advanced ovarian cancer and three or more lines of prior therapy.Gynecol. Oncol. 2016; 140: 199-203
- Phase II, open-label, randomized, multicenter study comparing the efficacy and safety of olaparib, a poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor, and pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations and recurrent ovarian cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2012; 30: 372-379
- Olaparib maintenance therapy in patients with platinum-sensitive relapsed serous ovarian cancer: a preplanned retrospective analysis of outcomes by BRCA status in a randomised phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2014; 15: 852-861
- Patient counseling and management of symptoms during olaparib therapy for recurrent ovarian cancer.Oncologist. 2016; 21: 954-963