- •Treatment or prevention of gynecologic cancer often results in induced menopause significantly impacting quality of life.
- •Hormone therapy is underutilized in in these settings despite more severe symptoms with induced menopause.
- •The risk/benefit profile of HT is favorable in most EOC, early stage endometrial, and cervical cancer.
- •HT is not recommended in women with advanced EC, uterine sarcoma, endometrioid or low grade serous ovarian cancer.
- •Lynch syndrome patients and BRCA mutation carriers without history of breast cancer may also use HT to improve QOL.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hormone replacement therapy in gynecologic cancer survivors: why not?.Gynecol. Oncol. 2011; 122: 447-454
- Management of menopausal symptoms in women with gynecologic cancers.Gynecol. Oncol. 2017; 146: 427-435
- ACOG practice bulletin no. 147: Lynch syndrome.Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 124: 1042-1054
- C.o.G.S.o.G.O., practice bulletin no 182: hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome.Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 130: e110-e126
- NCCN guidelines version 3.2019 genetic/familial high-risk assessment: breast and ovarian.
- The 2017 hormone therapy position statement of The North American Menopause Society.Menopause. 2017; 24: 728-753
- Menopause, hormone replacement and gynaecological cancers.Menopause Int. 2010; 16: 89-93
- Effects of oophorectomy and hormone replacement therapy on pituitary-gonadal function.Maturitas. 1993; 17: 101-111
- Menopause.Lancet. 2008; 371: 760-770
- Genitourinary syndrome of menopause: new terminology for vulvovaginal atrophy from the International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health and the North American Menopause Society.Menopause. 2014; 21: 1063-1068
- Long-term health consequences of premature or early menopause and considerations for management.Climacteric. 2015; 18: 483-491
- Bone mineral density in young women with primary ovarian insufficiency: results of a three-year randomized controlled trial of physiological transdermal estradiol and testosterone replacement.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014; 99: 3418-3426
- Oral oestrogen and combined oestrogen/progestogen therapy versus placebo for hot flushes.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2004; 4: CD002978
- Vaginal estrogen for genitourinary syndrome of menopause: a systematic review.Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 124: 1147-1156
- Local oestrogen for vaginal atrophy in postmenopausal women.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2016; 8: CD001500
- Hormone replacement therapy in young women with surgical primary ovarian insufficiency.Fertil. Steril. 2016; 106: 1580-1587
- Estrogen replacement therapy after endometrial cancer: a survey of physicians’ prescribing practice.Climacteric. 2010; 13: 271-277
- Randomized double-blind trial of estrogen replacement therapy versus placebo in stage I or II endometrial cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.J. Clin. Oncol. 2006; 24: 587-592
- Effects of hormone replacement therapy on the rate of recurrence in endometrial cancer survivors: a meta-analysis.Eur. J. Cancer. 2014; 50: 1628-1637
- Hormone replacement therapy for women previously treated for endometrial cancer.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2018; 5: CD008830
- Safety of ovarian preservation in premenopausal women with endometrial cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2009; 27: 1214-1219
- Phase 2 trial of aromatase inhibition with letrozole in patients with uterine leiomyosarcomas expressing estrogen and/or progesterone receptors.Cancer. 2014; 120: 738-743
- Expression of steroid and xenobiotic receptor in uterine carcinosarcoma, leiomyosarcoma and endometrial stromal sarcoma.Oncol. Lett. 2013; 5: 835-839
- Use of hormone replacement therapy before and after ovarian cancer diagnosis and ovarian cancer survival.Int. J. Cancer. 2006; 119: 2907-2915
- Estrogen replacement therapy for ovarian carcinoma survivors: a randomized controlled trial.Cancer. 1999; 86: 1013-1018
- Hormone replacement therapy after invasive ovarian serous cystadenocarcinoma treatment: the effect on survival.Menopause. 2001; 8: 70-75
- Adjuvant hormone therapy may improve survival in epithelial ovarian cancer: results of the AHT randomized trial.J. Clin. Oncol. 2015; 33: 4138-4144
- Postoperative hormone replacement therapy for epithelial ovarian cancer patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Gynecol. Oncol. 2015; 139: 355-362
- Hormonal maintenance therapy for women with low-grade serous cancer of the ovary or peritoneum.J. Clin. Oncol. 2017; 35: 1103-1111
- Hormonal therapy for recurrent low-grade serous carcinoma of the ovary or peritoneum.Gynecol. Oncol. 2012; 125: 661-666
- Hormone replacement therapy after treatment for cervical cancer: are we adhering to standard of care?.Gynecol. Oncol. 2017; 147: 597-600
- The influence of estrogen and progesterone receptors on survival in patients with carcinoma of the uterine cervix.Gynecol. Oncol. 1986; 23: 329-335
- Incidence of ovarian metastasis in patients with cancer of the uterine cervix.Gynecol. Oncol. 1987; 28: 255-261
- Hormonal replacement therapy in patients after cervical cancer treatment.Gynecol. Oncol. 1987; 26: 169-177
- Endometrial effects of a tissue selective estrogen complex containing bazedoxifene/conjugated estrogens as a menopausal therapy.Fertil. Steril. 2009; 92: 1018-1024
- Hormone replacement after gynaecological cancer.Maturitas. 2010; 65: 190-197
- Genetic/Familial High-risk Assessment: Breast and Ovarian.(Version 1. Available at)
- Ovarian conservation at the time of hysterectomy and long-term health outcomes in the nurses’ health study.Obstet. Gynecol. 2009; 113: 1027-1037
- Oophorectomy vs ovarian conservation with hysterectomy: cardiovascular disease, hip fracture, and cancer in the Women’s Health Initiative Observational Study.Arch. Intern. Med. 2011; 171: 760-768
- Survival patterns after oophorectomy in premenopausal women: a population-based cohort study.Lancet Oncol. 2006; 7: 821-828
- Effect of short-term hormone replacement therapy on breast cancer risk reduction after bilateral prophylactic oophorectomy in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: the PROSE Study Group.J. Clin. Oncol. 2005; 23: 7804-7810
- Hormone replacement therapy after oophorectomy and breast cancer risk among BRCA1 mutation carriers.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 1059-1065
- Hormone replacement therapy and life expectancy after prophylactic oophorectomy in women with BRCA1/2 mutations: a decision analysis.J. Clin. Oncol. 2004; 22: 1045-1054
- Hormone therapy in oophorectomized BRCA1/2 mutation carriers.Menopause. 2014; 21: 763-768
- Hormone replacement therapy and the risk of ovarian cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.Gynecol. Oncol. 2006; 100: 83-88
- Menopausal hormone therapy influence on breast cancer outcomes in the Women’s Health Initiative.J. Natl. Compr. Cancer Netw. 2015; 13: 917-924
- Increased risk of recurrence after hormone replacement therapy in breast cancer survivors.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 475-482
- Hormone replacement therapy after risk reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations; a systematic review of risks and benefits.Gynecol. Oncol. 2019 Apr; 153 (Epub 2019 Jan 17): 192-200https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2018.12.014
- Effects of conjugated equine estrogen in postmenopausal women with hysterectomy: the Women’s Health Initiative randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1701-1712
- Estrogen and colorectal cancer incidence and mortality.Cancer. 2015; 121: 3261-3271
- Hormone replacement therapy and colorectal cancer incidence and mortality in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial.Clin. Colorectal Cancer. 2018; 17: e281-e288
- Female hormonal factors and the risk of endometrial cancer in Lynch syndrome.JAMA. 2015; 314: 61-71
☆Clinical Practice Committee authors include: Abdulrahman Sinno, MD, Terri Febbraro, MD, Nathanial Jones, MD, Namita Khanna, MD, Sarah Temkin, MD, David Iglesias, MD, Bhavana Pothuri, MD, MS.
☆☆This practice statement has been endorsed by The North American Menopause Society.