- •The current opioid crisis is relevant to gynecologic oncology patients in the acute surgical setting.
- •Surgical pain management planning should include preoperative risk factor identification and postoperative pain education.
- •More effective pain relief can be achieved when multimodal analgesia is used.
- •Restrictive opioid prescribing guidelines should be used postoperatively whenever possible.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gynecologic Oncology
- Wide-Ranging Online Data for Epidemiologic Research (WONDER). CDC, National Center for Health Statistics, Atlanta, GA2017 (Available at)
- Relationship between nonmedical prescription-opioid use and heroin use.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 374: 154-163
- The initiation of chronic opioids: a survey of chronic pain patients.J. Pain. 2017; 18: 360-365
- Who is prescribing controlled medications to patients who die of prescription drug abuse?.Am. J. Emerg. Med. 2015; 34: 30-35
- New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152e170504
- Incidence of and risk factors for chronic opioid use among opioid-naive patients in the postoperative period.JAMA Intern. Med. 2016; 176: 1286-1293
- Risks of developing persistent opioid use after major surgery.JAMA Surg. 2016; 151: 1083-1084
- Rates and risk factors for prolonged opioid use after major surgery: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2014; 348: g1251
- Long-term analgesic use after low-risk surgery: a retrospective cohort study.Arch. Intern. Med. 2012; 172: 425-430
- New persistent opioid use among patients with cancer after curative-intent surgery.J. Clin. Oncol. 2017; 35: 4042-4049
- NCCN Guidelines: Adult Cancer Pain.
- Opioid analgesic risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS).
- Opioid overdose – the surgeon’s role.Ann. Surg. 2018; 268: 32-34
- Correlation between 24-hour predischarge opioid use and amount of opioids prescribed at hospital discharge.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153e174859
- A prospective evaluation of opioid utilization after upper-extremity surgical procedures: identifying consumption patterns and determining prescribing guidelines.J. Bone Joint Surg. Am. 2016; 98: e89
- Opioid use in gynecologic oncology; balancing efficacy, accessibility and safety: an SGO clinical practice statement.Gynecol. Oncol. 2017; 144: 232-234
- Opioid use in gynecologic oncology in the age of the opioid epidemic: part I - effective opioid use across clinical settings, a society of gynecologic oncology evidence-based review.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 149: 394-400
- Opioid use in gynecologic oncology in the age of the opioid epidemic: part II - balancing safety & accessibility.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 149: 401-409
"Safe and Effective Pain Control after Surgery." American College of Surgeons. www.facs.org/~/media/files/education/patient%20ed/safe_pain_control.ashx
- Opioid prescribing guidelines for common surgical procedures: an expert panel consensus.J. Am. Coll. Surg. 2018; 227: 411-418
- Risk stratification of opioid misuse among patients with cancer pain using the SOAPP-SF.Pain Med. 2013; 14: 667-675
- Opioid Risk Tool (ORT).
- Opioid task force helping guide: Physicians' progress to end the nation's opioid epidemic.
- Management of postoperative pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American Pain Society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Committee on Regional Anesthesia, Executive Committee, and Administrative Council.J of Pain:Official J of Am Pain Society. 2016; 17: 131-157
- Healthcare use for pain in women waiting for gynaecological surgery.Pain Res Management. 2016; 2016: 1343568
- Approach to pain management in chronic opioid users undergoing orthopaedic surgery.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22: 614-622
- Opioid overdose prevention programs providing naloxone to laypersons – United States, 2014.CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2015; 64: 631-635
- Community Management of Opioid Overdose.2014
- CDC guidelines for prescribing opioids for chronic pain – United States, 2016.JAMA. 2016; 315: 1624-1645
- U.S. surgeon general's advisory on naloxone and opioid overdose.
- A prospective randomized trial comparing patient-controlled epidural analgesia to patient-controlled intravenous analgesia on postoperative pain control and recovery after major open gynecologic cancer surgery.Gynecol. Oncol. 2009; 114: 111-116
- A comparison of patient controlled epidural analgesia with intravenous patient controlled analgesia for postoperative pain management after major gynecologic oncologic surgeries: a randomized controlled clinical trial.Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine. 2015; 5e29540
- The effect of anesthesia choice on post-operative outcomes in women undergoing exploratory laparotomy for a suspected gynecologic malignancy.Gynecol. Oncol. 2014; 133: 278-282
- Narcotics reduction, quality and safety in gynecologic oncology surgery in the first year of enhanced recovery after surgery protocol implementation.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 149: 554-559
- Preemptive analgesia for postoperative hysterectomy pain control: systematic review and clinical practice guidelines.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 217: 303-313
- Preemptive use of gabapentin in abdominal hysterectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1221-1229
- The post-operative analgesic effects of a combination of gabapentin and paracetamol in patients undergoing abdominal hysterectomy: a randomized clinical trial.Acta Anaesthesiol. Scand. 2007; 51: 299-304
- Effect of pre-incision skin infiltration on post-hysterectomy pain–a double-blind randomized controlled trial.Anaesth. Intensive Care. 2000; 28: 510-516
- Does multimodal analgesia with acetaminophen, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, or selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and patient-controlled analgesia morphine offer advantages over morphine alone?.Anesthesiology. 2005; 103: 1296-1304
- Paracetamol and selective and non-selective non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) for the reduction of morphine-related side effects after major surgery: a systematic review.Health Technol. Assess. 2010; 14: 1-153
- A systematic review of randomized trials evaluating regional techniques for postthoracotomy analgesia.Anesth. Analg. 2008; 107: 1026-1040
- Impact of epidural analgesia on mortality and morbidity after surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Ann. Surg. 2014; 259: 1056-1067
- Continuous epidural infusion anesthesia and analgesia in gynecologic oncology patients: less pain, more gain?.Gynecol. Oncol. 2015; 136: 77-81
- Perioperative epidural use and survival outcomes in patients undergoing primary debulking surgery for advanced ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 151: 287-293
- Continuous epidural infusion in gynecologic oncology patients undergoing exploratory laparotomy: the new standard for decreased postoperative pain and opioid use.Gynecol. Oncol. 2019; 153: 356-361
- A comparison of effect of preemptive use of oral gabapentin and pregabalin for acute postoperative pain after surgery under spinal anesthesia.J. Anaesthesiol. Clin. Pharmacol. 2014; 30: 373-377
- A systematic review and meta-regression analysis of prophylactic gabapentin for postoperative pain.Anaesthesia. 2015; 70: 1186-1204
- A placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial of perioperative administration of gabapentin, rofecoxib and their combination for spontaneous and movement-evoked pain after abdominal hysterectomy.Pain. 2005; 113: 191-200
- Effects of pregabalin on post operative morphine consumption and pain after abdominal hysterectomy with/without salphingo-oophorectomy: a randomized, double-blind trial.Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand=Chotmaihet thangphaet. 2009; 92: 1318-1323
- Efficacy and safety of transversus abdominis plane blocks versus thoracic epidural anesthesia in patients undergoing major abdominal oncologic resections: a prospective, randomized controlled trial.Am J Surgery. 2018; 215: 498-501
- Analgesic effectiveness of transversus abdominis plane blocks after hysterectomy: a meta-analysis.Eu J Obstet, Gynecol, and Reprod Biol. 2013; 166: 1-9
- Comparison of analgesic efficacy of transversus abdominis plane block with direct infiltration of local anesthetic into surgical incision in lower abdominal gynecological surgeries.JAnaesth, Clin Pharm. 2013; 29: 71-75
- Consensus guidelines on the use of intravenous ketamine infusions for acute pain management from the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, the American Academy of Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists.Reg. Anesth. Pain Med. 2018; 43: 521-546
- Celecoxib versus ketorolac following robotic hysterectomy for the management of postoperative pain: an open-label randomized control trial.Gynecol. Oncol. 2018; 151: 124-128
M. Wetzel, J. Hockenberry, M.V. Raval, Interventions for Postsurgical Opioid Prescribing: A Systematic Review, JAMA Surg. 153(10) (2018) 948-954.
J.E. Mark, D. Phoenix, C.A. Gutierrez, K. Morrell, K.H. Eng, P.C. Mayor, et al., Tackling the opioid crisis: Implementation of an ultra-restrictive opioid prescription protocol in patietns undergoing major gynecologic surgery radically decreased dispensed opioid without reducing pain control. Scientific Plenary, SGO Annual Meeting, New Orleans, 2018.
M.V. Hill, M.L. McMahon, R.S. Stuke, R.J. Barth Jr., Wide Variation and Excessive Dosage of Opioid Prescriptions for Common General Surgical Procedures, Ann Surg. 265 (4) (2017) 709-7014.
R. Howard, J. Waljee, C. Brummett, Reduction in opioid prescribing through evidence-based prescribing guidelines, JAMA Surg. 153 (3) (2018) 285-287.
- Association of opioid prescribing with opioid consumption after surgery in Michigan.JAMA Surg. 2018; 154e184234
- Patient characteristics and opioid use prior to discharge after open gynecologic surgery in an enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) program.Gynecol. Oncol. 2019; 153: 604-609
- Post-Operative Pain Management Algorithm.https://www.mdanderson.org/documents/for-physicians/algorithms/clinical-management/clin-management-post-op-pain-web-algorithm.pdfDate: 2019
- Effect of perioperative gabapentin on postoperative pain resolution and opioid cessation in a mixed surgical cohort: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 303-311
- Effect of perioperative gabapentin use on postsurgical pain in patients undergoing head and neck mucosal surgery: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018; 144: 959-966
- Gabapentin misuse, abuse, and diversion: a systematic review.Addiction. 2016; 111: 1160-1174
- Gabapentin: abuse, dependence, and withdrawal.Ann. Pharmacother. 2016; 50: 229-233
- Ice packs reduce postoperative midline incision pain and narcotic use: a randomized controlled trial.J. Am. Coll. Surg. 2014; 219: 511-517
V. Roykulcharoen and M. Good, Systematic relaxation to relieve postoperative pain, JAN 48 (2) (2004) 140-148.
- The use of guided imagery to manage pain in an elderly orthopaedic population.Orthop. Nurs. 2004; 23: 335-340
- Postoperative pain relief through relaxation in elderly patients with fractured hips.Orthop. Nurs. 1984; 3: 11-19
- Guided imagery and relaxation in conventional colorectal resections: a randomized, controlled, partially blinded trial.Dis. Colon Rectum. 2005; 48: 1955-1963
- Relaxation technique to increase comfort level of postoperative patients: a preliminary study.Nurse Res. 1978; 27: 352-355
- Acute postoperative pain management using massage as an adjuvant therapy.Arch. Surg. 2007; 142: 1158-1167
- Variability in opioid equivalence calculations.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 892-898
- Electronic Prescriptions for Controlled Substances.
- Prescription Drug Abuse Policy System, Naloxone Overdose Prevention Laws.www.pdaps.orgDate: 2017
- Single state agency for substance abuse: resource to check third party prescription laws and Good Samaritan laws.
- Opioid use and storage patterns by patients after hospital discharge following surgery.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0147972
- Opioid oversupply after joint and spine surgery: a prospective cohort study.Anesth. Analg. 2018; : 1
- Prescription opioid analgesics commonly unused after surgery: a systematic review.JAMA Surgery. 2017; 152: 1066-1071
- New data on opioid use and prescribing in the United States.JAMA. 2017; 318: 425-426
- Naloxone: the opioid reversal drug that saves lives.U.S. Department of Health and Human Serviceshttps://www.hhs.gov/opioids/sites/default/files/2018-12/naloxone-coprescribing-guidance.pdf
- Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit.(Last accessed on April 23, 2019)