- •Elderly BRCA carriers were more likely to opt for ongoing breast surveillance rather than RRM.
- •A large proportion of elderly women elected RRSO after BRCA testing and very few opted for ovarian cancer surveillance.
- •Pancreatic cancer was the most common new cancer diagnosed in older BRCA carriers.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Breast and ovarian cancer in the older woman.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014; 32: 2553-2561https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2014.55.3073
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 192: Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer Syndrome.American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington, DC2017
- Breast and ovarian cancer risks due to inherited mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2. New York Breast Cancer Study Group.Science. 2003; 302: 643-646https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1088759
- Average risks of breast and ovarian cancer associated with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations detected in case series unselected for family history: a combined analysis of 22 studies.Am. J. Hum. Genet. 2003; 72: 1117-1130https://doi.org/10.1086/375033
- Meta-analysis of BRCA1 and BRCA2 penetrance.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007; 25: 1329-1333https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.09.1066
- Population BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation frequencies and cancer penetrance: a kin-cohort study in Ontario, Canada.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2006; 98: 1694-1706https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djj465
- Risks of breast, ovarian, and contralateral breast cancer for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.JAMA. 2017; 317: 2402-2416https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.7112
- NCCN guidelines insights: genetic/familial high-risk assessment: breast and ovarian, version 2.2017.J. Natl. Compr. Cancer Netw. 2017; 15: 9-20https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn/2017.0003
- Risk assessment, genetic counseling, and genetic testing for BRCA-related cancer in women: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann. Intern. Med. 2014; 160: 271-281https://doi.org/10.7326/M13-2747
- Risk-reducing salpigo-oophorectomy in patients with germline mutations in BRCA1 or BRCA2.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007; 25: 2921—27
- Redefining the elderly as age 75 years and older: proposal form the Joint Committee of Japan Gerontological Society and the Japan Geriatrics Society.J. Geriatr. Gerontol. 2017; 17: 1045-1047https://doi.org/10.1111/ggi.13118
- The elderly patient—who is that?.Internist (Berl). 2007; 48: 1192-1194https://doi.org/10.1007/s00108-007-1945-3
- Ageing and life course.https://www.who.int/ageing/enDate accessed: February 22, 2019
- The incidence of pancreatic cancer in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.Br. J. Cancer. 2012; 107: 2005-2009https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2012.483
- Cancer associated with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations other than breast and ovarian.Cancer. 2015; 121: 269-275https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.29041
Screening for Pancreatic Cancer: A Brief Evidence Update for the U.S. Preventive Service Task Force. USPSTF 2004. AHRQ Pub No. 05-0554-B.
- Treatment of ovarian cancer in the older woman.Gynecol. Oncol. 2015; 136: 136-142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2014.10.028
- Ovarian cancer in the older women.J. Geriatr. Oncol. 2016; 7: 354-361https://doi.org/10.1016/j/jgo.2016.07.008
- Ovarian cancer management in the oldest old: improving outcomes and tailoring treatments.Aging Dis. 2017; 8: 677-684https://doi.org/10.14336/AD.2017.0607
- Recent advances in cancer surgery in older patients.F1000 Res. 2017; 6: 1242https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.10683.1