- •Papanicolaou first described the Pap smear in 1928. His findings were not recognized by the medical community until 1941.
- •The 1941 re-publication of the Pap method spurred epidemiologic studies and screening protocols for cervical cancer.
- •In 1983, human papillomavirus was identified as the causal agent for cervical dysplasia by Harald zur Hausen.
- •Recent developments in cervical cytology include use of liquid-based cytology and HPV genotyping.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- National Conference on Race Betterment RBf. Proceedings of the Third Race Betterment Conference, January 2–6, 1928. Race Betterment Foundation, Battle Creek, MI1928
- New cancer diagnosis.in: Proceedings of the Third Race Betterment Conference. 1928: 528-534
- M.D., Ph.D.: Life and Career: The Way to the Pap Test.Hellenic Medical Society of New York, New York, NY.2008
- The Pap test: George N. Papanicolaou (1883-1962). A screening test for the prevention of cancer of uterine cervix.Eur. J. Obstet. Gynecol. Reprod. Biol. 2000; 90: 135-138
- The history of the Papanicolaou smear and the odyssey of George and Andromache Papanicolaou.Obstet. Gynecol. 1998; 91: 479-483
- George Papanicolaou (1883-1962): discoverer of the Pap smear.Singap. Med. J. 2015; 56: 586-587
- The existence of a typical oestrous cycle in the Guinea-pig--with a study of its histological and physiological changes.Dev. Dyn. 1917; 22
- Personal/Biographical - Autobiographical and Biographical Notes, 1844 and 1917–1933.University of Michigan Archival Collections - Bentley Library, 2014
- The Origins of the Battle Creek Health Reform Movement.(Heritage Battle Creek)2009
Michigan State University. John Harvey Kellogg Papers (Collection Identifier 00013). Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections. East Lansing, MI. p. http://archives.msu.edu/findaid/013.html.
- Relation of public health to race degeneracy.Am J Public Health (N Y). 1914; 4: 649-663
- The diagnostic value of vaginal smears in carcinoma of the uterus.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1941; 42: 193-224
- Cancer of the uterus: the vaginal smear in its diagnosis.Cal West Med. 1943; 59: 121-122
- Diagnostic value of exfoliated cells from cancerous tissues.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1946; 131: 372-378
- Uterine cancer morbidity data; Memphis and Shelby County, Tenn., 1950-51.Public Health Rep. 1954; 69: 269-274
- Exfoliative cytology in mass screening for uterine Cancer: Memphis and Shelby County, Tennessee. CA.A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 1955; 5: 63-64
- Preliminary findings of the Memphis-Shelby county uterine cancer study and their interpretation.Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1958; 48: 861-873
- Control of cervical cancer. Preliminary report on community program.JAMA. 1962; 182: 179-182
- The history of tumor virology.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 7693-7706
- A sarcoma of the fowl transmissible by an agent separable from the tumor cells.J. Exp. Med. 1911; 13: 397-411
- The progression to carcinoma of virus-induced rabbit papillomas (SHOPE).J. Exp. Med. 1935; 62: 523-548
- Attempts to detect virus-specific DNA in human tumors. I. Nucleic acid hybridizations with complementary RNA of human wart virus.Int. J. Cancer. 1974; 13: 650-656
- Papillomaviruses in the causation of human cancers - a brief historical account.Virology. 2009; 384: 260-265
- Human papillomaviruses and their possible role in squamous cell carcinomas.Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol. 1977; 78: 1-30
- Harald zur Hausen - Biographical. Nobelprize.org: Nobel Media AB, 2014
- Presence of human papillomaviruses in genital tumors.J. Investig. Dermatol. 1984; 83 (26s–8s)
- Prospects for cervical cancer prevention by human papillomavirus vaccination.Cancer Res. 2006; 66: 10229-10232
- The impact of liquid-based cytology in decreasing the incidence of cervical cancer.Rev. Obstet. Gynecol. 2011; 4: S2-S11
- Liquid compared with conventional cervical cytology: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet. Gynecol. 2008; 111: 167-177
- Updates in cervical cytology: the 90-year-long journey from Battle Creek to today.Surg Pathol Clin. 2018; 11: 589-599
- Cervical Cancer. World Health Organization, 2019
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and Cervical Cancer. World Health Organization, 2019
- Global strategies for cervical cancer prevention.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 28: 4-10