- •We evaluated a modified pre-test genetic counseling (GC) model for women undergoing panel-based genetic testing.
- •Time spent with a genetic counselor was shorter in the modified pre-test GC compared to traditional pre-test GC.
- •Modified pre-test GC was non-inferior to traditional GC on psychosocial outcomes, ovarian cancer knowledge and satisfaction.
- •Our modified pre-test GC model provides an efficient and efficacious alternative for individuals undergoing panel testing.
- •Further research in a more diverse population and individuals being referred for clinical pre-test GC is needed.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Canadian Cancer Society, Toronto, ON2017
- American Cancer Society,
- Frequency of germline mutations in 25 cancer susceptibility genes in a sequential series of patients with breast cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2016; 34: 1460-1468
- Mutations in 12 genes for inherited ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal carcinoma identified by massively parallel sequencing.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2011; 108: 18032-18037
- Prevalence of deleterious germline variants in risk genes including BRCA1/2 in consecutive ovarian cancer patients (AGO-TR-1).PLoS One. 2017; 12e0186043
- Inherited mutations in women with ovarian carcinoma.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 482-490
- Risks of breast, ovarian, and contralateral breast cancer for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.JAMA. 2017; 317: 2402-2416
- Contralateral mastectomy improves survival in women with BRCA1/2-associated breast cancer.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2013; 140: 135-142
- Contralateral mastectomy and survival after breast cancer in carriers of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations: retrospective analysis.BMJ. 2014; 348: g226
- PARP inhibitors in ovarian cancer: clinical evidence for informed treatment decisions.Br. J. Cancer. 2015; 113: S10-S16
- Olaparib for metastatic breast cancer in patients with a germline BRCA mutation.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 377: 523-533
- Long-term results of screening with magnetic resonance imaging in women with BRCA mutations.Br. J. Cancer. 2012; 107: 24-30
- Effectiveness of prophylactic surgeries in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers: a meta-analysis and systematic review.Clin. Cancer Res. 2016; 22: 3971-3981
- The expected benefit of preventive mastectomy on breast cancer incidence and mortality in BRCA mutation carriers, by age at mastectomy.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2018; 167: 263-267
- Impact of oophorectomy on cancer incidence and mortality in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014; 32: 1547-1553
- The Angelina Jolie effect: how high celebrity profile can have a major impact on provision of cancer related services.Breast Cancer Res. 2014; 16: 442
- The impact of Angelina Jolie (AJ)'s story on genetic referral and testing at an academic cancer centre in Canada.J. Genet. Couns. 2016; 25: 1309-1316
- FDA approval of PARP inhibitors and the impact on genetic counseling and genetic testing practices.J. Genet. Couns. 2018; 27: 131-139
- Randomized noninferiority trial of telephone versus in-person genetic counseling for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014; 32: 618-626
- Expanding access to BRCA1/2 genetic counseling with telephone delivery: a cluster randomized trial.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2014; 106
- Randomized noninferiority trial of telephone delivery of BRCA1/2 genetic counseling compared with in-person counseling: 1-year follow-up.J. Clin. Oncol. 2016; 34: 2914-2924
- Cluster-randomised non-inferiority trial comparing DVD-assisted and traditional genetic counselling in systematic population testing for BRCA1/2 mutations.J. Med. Genet. 2016; 53: 472-480
- Streamlined genetic education is effective in preparing women newly diagnosed with breast cancer for decision making about treatment-focused genetic testing: a randomized controlled noninferiority trial.Genet. Med. 2017; 19: 448-456
- Reporting of noninferiority and equivalence randomized trials: extension of the CONSORT 2010 statement.JAMA. 2012; 308: 2594-2604
- Group PISotNSoGCFCRCSI: risk assessment and genetic counseling for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer: recommendations of the National Society of Genetic Counselors.J. Genet. Couns. 2007; 16: 241-260
- Development of a tiered and binned genetic counseling model for informed consent in the era of multiplex testing for cancer susceptibility.Genet. Med. 2015; 17: 485-492
- Statutes of Canada 2017, chapter 3.Senate of Canada)
- Impact of Event Scale: a measure of subjective stress.Psychosom. Med. 1979; 41: 209-218
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7.Arch. Intern. Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097
- User Manual-Decisional Conflict Scale (10-Item question format).(Updated 2010)Ottawa Hospital Research InstituteOttawa, ONhttps://decisionaid.ohri.ca/docs/develop/User_Manuals/UM_decisional_conflict.pdfDate: 1993
- Development and validation of a breast cancer genetic counseling knowledge questionnaire.Patient Educ. Couns. 2005; 56: 182-191
- Patient satisfaction with cancer genetic counseling: a psychometric analysis of the Genetic Counseling Satisfaction Scale.J. Genet. Couns. 2004; 13: 293-304
- Web-based platform vs genetic counselors in educating patients about carrier results from exome sequencing-reply.JAMA Intern. Med. 2018; 178: 999
- Randomized comparison of group versus individual genetic education and counseling for familial breast and/or ovarian cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2005; 23: 3455-3464
- Patient outcomes associated with group and individual genetic counseling formats.Familial Cancer. 2012; 11: 97-106
- Hereditary breast and ovarian cancer: successful systematic implementation of a group approach to genetic counselling.Fam. Cancer. 2017; 16: 51-56
- Evaluation of group genetic counseling for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.J. Genet. Couns. 2009; 18: 87-100
- Report from the National Society of Genetic Counselors service delivery model task force: a proposal to define models, components, and modes of referral.J. Genet. Couns. 2012; 21: 645-651
- Implementing rapid, robust, cost-effective, patient-centred, routine genetic testing in ovarian cancer patients.Sci. Rep. 2016; 6: 29506-29513
- More breast cancer patients prefer BRCA-mutation testing without prior face-to-face genetic counseling.Familial Cancer. 2014; 13: 143-151
- BRCA1/2 testing in newly diagnosed breast and ovarian cancer patients without prior genetic counselling: the DNA-BONus study.Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 2016; 24: 881-888
- Identifying Needs: A Qualitative Study of Women's Experiences Regarding Rapid Genetic Testing for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer in the DNA BONus Study.J. Genet. Couns. 2017; 26: 182-189
- Emotional distress following genetic testing for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer: a meta-analytic review.Health Psychol. 2009; 28: 510-518
☆Funding: This work was funded by the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation.
☆☆Presented: This study was presented as an oral presentation at the 39th Annual General Meeting of The Society of Gynecologic Oncology of Canada (GOC) and the 7th International Symposium on Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer.