- •Cabozantinib is a targeted kinase inhibitor with anti-ovarian cancer activity.
- •Cabozantinib compared to weekly paclitaxel had similar PFS but had worse OS and ORR.
- •Cabozantinib had worse gastrointestinal toxicities compared to paclitaxel.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics, 2018.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2018; 68: 7-30
- Cyclophosphamide and cisplatin compared with paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with stage III and stage IV ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996; 334: 1-6
- Evaluation of new platinum-based treatment regimens in advanced-stage ovarian cancer: a Phase III Trial of the Gynecologic Cancer Intergroup.J. Clin. Oncol. 2009 Mar 20; 27: 1419-1425
- OCEANS: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III trial of chemotherapy with or without bevacizumab in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent epithelial ovarian, primary peritoneal, or fallopian tube cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2012 Jun 10; 30: 2039-2045
- Bevacizumab and paclitaxel-carboplatin chemotherapy and secondary cytoreduction in recurrent, platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer (NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group study GOG-0213): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 779-791
- Bevacizumab combined with chemotherapy for platinum-resistant recurrent ovarian cancer: the AURELIA open-label randomized phase III trial.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014 May 1; 32: 1302-1308
- Cabozantinib (XL184), a novel MET and VEGFR2 inhibitor, simultaneously suppresses metastasis, angiogenesis, and tumor growth.Mol. Cancer Ther. 2011; 10: 2298-2308
- Targeting MET in cancer: rationale and progress.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2012; 12: 89-103
- An orally available small molecule inhibitor of c-Met, PF-2341066, reduces tumor burden and metastasis in a preclinical model of ovarian cancer metastasis.Neoplasia. 2010; 12: 1-10
- A phase 2 randomised discontinuation trial of cabozantinib in patients with ovarian carcinoma.Eur. J. Cancer. 2017; 83: 229-236
- Phase II randomized discontinuation trial of cabozantinib in patients with solid tumors.Eur. J. Cancer. 2017; 86: 296-304
- Cabozantinib versus everolimus in advanced renal cell carcinoma (METEOR): final results from a randomized, open label phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2016; 17: 917-927
- Cabozantinib versus sunitinib as initial targeted therapy for patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma of poor or intermediate risk: the Alliance A031203 CABOSUN trial.J. Clin. Oncol. 2017; 35: 591-597
- Cabozantinib in metastatic renal cell carcinoma: latest findings and clinical potential.Ther. Adv. Med. Oncol. 2017; 9: 627-636
- Cabozantinib in progressive medullary thyroid cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2013; 31: 3639-3646
- Phase II randomised discontinuation trial of cabozantinib in patients with advanced solid tumors.Eur. J. Cancer. 2017; 86: 296-304
- Randomized clinical trial design for assessing noninferiority when superiority is expected.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007; 25: 5019-5023
- Phase II study of bevacizumab in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer or peritoneal serous cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007; 25: 5180-5186
- Phase II trial of bevacizumab in persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer or primary peritoneal cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007; 25: 5165-5171
- Cediranib, an oral inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor kinases, is an active drug in recurrent epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2009; 27: 5601-5606
- A phase II open labeled, study evaluating pazopanib in patients with recurrent ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2010; 119: 32-37
- ENMD-2076, an oral inhibitor of angiogenic and proliferation kinases, has activity in recurrent, platinum resistant ovarian cancer.Eur. J. Cancer. 2013; 49: 121-131
- A phase II trial of sunitinib malate in recurrent and refractory ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2013; 128: 215-220
- Pazopanib plus weekly paclitaxel versus weekly paclitaxel alone for platinum resistant-refractory advanced ovarian cancer (MITO 11): a randomized, open-label, phase 2 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2015; 16: 561-568
- Paclitaxel with and without pazopanib for persistent or recurrent ovarian cancer.JAMA Oncol. 2018; 4: 196-202
- Phase II weekly paclitaxel (80 mg/m2) in platinum and paclitaxel-resistant ovarian and primary peritoneal cancers: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.Gynecol. Oncol. 2006; 101: 436-440
- Weekly paclitaxel in patients with recurrent or persistent ovarian cancer.Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 2003; 13: 142-147
- The effect of single agent weekly paclitaxel in heavily pretreated patients with recurrent or persistent advanced ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2004; 92: 813-818
- Phase II study of single-agent cabozantinib in patients with recurrent clear cell ovarian, primary peritoneal or fallopian tube cancer (NRG-GY001).Gynecol. Oncol. 2018 Jul; 150: 9-13
☆This study was originally presented in part at the 2016 Society of Gynecologic Oncology meeting.
☆☆This study was supported by National Cancer Institute grants to the Gynecologic Oncology Group Administrative Office ( CA 27469 ), the Gynecologic Oncology Group Statistical and Data Center ( CA 37517 ), NRG Oncology (1 U10 CA180822 ), NRG Operations ( U10CA180868 ) and UG1CA189867 (NCORP). Dr. Matulonis is supported by the Breast Cancer Research Foundation . Drs. Aghajanian and Makker are supported in part by the MSK Cancer Center Support Grant P30 CA008748 . The following NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group member institutions participated in this study: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine, Cancer Research for the Ozarks NCORP, Women and Infants Hospital, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Carolinas Medical Center/Levine Cancer Institute, Rush University Medical Center, Fox Chase Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Memorial Health Care, University of Hawaii, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Indiana University Hospital/Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, University of Chicago, Case Western Reserve University, Maine Medical Center – Scarborough Campus, Wichita CCOP, Abington Memorial Hospital, University of Colorado Cancer Center – Anschutz Cancer Pavilion, University of California Medical Center at Irvine-Orange Campus, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Women's Cancer Center of Nevada, University of Virginia, Mayo Clinic, The Hospital of Central Connecticut, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, University of Southern California, Hartford Hospital, Delaware/Christiana Care CCOP, Virginia Commonwealth University, Iowa-Wide Oncology Research Coalition NCORP, Sanford NCI Community Oncology Research Program of the North Central Plains, Columbus NCI Community Oncology Research Program and Stony Brook University Medical Center.