- •There are disparities across cancer sites when NCI funding is measured using the Funding to Lethality score.
- •The three major GYN cancers show consistently decreasing Funding to Lethality scores over time.
- •Increased funding for GYN cancers is needed to keep pace with laboratory and clinical discoveries of other cancer sites.
Cancer Moonshot [Internet]. National Cancer Institute [cited 2018 Mar 29] Available from: https://www.cancer.gov/research/key-initiatives/moonshot-cancer-initiative
- 21st Century Cures Act [Internet].(Available from:)https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6Date: 2015Date accessed: March 29, 2018
National Institutes of Health. Office of Budget [cited 2018 Jun 12] Available from: https://officeofbudget.od.nih.gov/.
Estimates of Funding for Various Research, Condition, and Disease Categories (RCDC). NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools [cited 2018 Jun 12]. Available from: https://report.nih.gov/categorical_spending.aspx
- A comparison of cancer burden and research spending reveals discrepancies in the distribution of research funding.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 526
- Years of life lost (YLL) from cancer is an important measure of population burden — and should be considered when allocating research funds.Br. J. Cancer. 2005; 92: 241-255
Fast Stats [Internet] [cited 2017 Apr 18] Available from: https://seer.cancer.gov/faststats/selections.php
National Cancer Institute: Cancer Trends Progress Report. Person-years of life lost. [Internet] [cited 2018 Mar 23]. Available from: https://progressreport.cancer.gov/end/life_lost
Research funding statistics for FY 2014 cancer type [Internet] [cited 2018 Mar 23] Available from: https://fundedresearch.cancer.gov/nciportfolio/search/funded?fy=PUB2014&type=site
- Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012.Int. J. Cancer. 2015; 136: E359-E386
- The validity of the mortality to incidence ratio as a proxy for site-specific cancer survival.Eur. J. Pub. Health. 2010; 21: 573-577
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare 2014. Cancer in Australia: an overview 2014. Cancer series No 90. Cat no CAN 88. Canberra: AIHW.
- WONDER Online Database.United States Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2014
About the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) [Internet] [cited 2018 Jul 10] Available from: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/default.aspx
The NIH Alamanac [Internet]. National Institutes of Health (NIH), 2015[cited 2017 Mar 29] Available from: https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/what-we-do/nih-almanac/appropriations-section-1
SGO clinical trial crisis 1.9.17 [Internet] [cited 2018 16 Mar] Available from: https://www.sgo.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/SGO-Clinical-Trial-Crisis-FINAL.pdf
Federally Funded Cancer Research [Internet]. ASCO, 2016 [cited 2017 Apr 18] Available from: https://www.asco.org/advocacy-policy/policies-positions-guidance/federally-funded-cancer-research
- Dabrafenib and trametinib versus dabrafenib and placebo for Val600 BRAF-mutant melanoma: a multicentre, double-blind, phase 3 randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 386: 444-451
- Improved overall survival in melanoma with combined dabrafenib and trametinib.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 372: 30-39
- Combined vemurafenib and cobimetinib in BRAF-mutated melanoma.N. Engl. J. Med. 2014; 371: 1867-1876
- Five-year survival rates for treatment-naive patients with advanced melanoma who received ipilimumab plus dacarbazine in a phase III trial.J. Clin. Oncol. 2015; 33: 1191-1196