- •Bevacizumab monotherapy is active therapy for recurrent ovarian cancer, but resistance is common.
- •BV + EV combination had a higher measurable response (22% vs 12%) compared to BV alone.
- •BV + EV combination had higher toxicity and study removal (29% vs 12%) compared to BV alone.
- •BV + EV combination did not improve progression free or overall survival.
Patients and methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Markedly elevated levels of vascular endothelial growth factor in malignant ascites.Ann. Surg. Oncol. 1999; 6: 373-378
- Prognostic significance of VEGF expression in human ovarian carcinoma.Br. J. Cancer. 2000; 83: 196-203
- Serum VEGF in epithelial ovarian neoplasms: correlation with patient survival.Gynecol. Oncol. 1999; 74: 235-240
- Phase II trial of bevacizumab in persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer or primary peritoneal cancer: a gynecologic oncology group study.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007 Nov 20; 25: 5165-5171
- Phase II study of bevacizumab in patients with platinum-resistant ovarian cancer or peritoneal serous cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2007 Nov 20; 25: 5180-5186
- Phase II clinical trial of bevacizumab and low dose metronomic oral cyclophosphamide in recurrent ovarian cancer: a trial of the California, Chicago and Princess Margaret Hospital phase II consortia.J. Clin. Oncol. 2008; 26: 76-82
- Bevacizumab combined with chemotherapy for platinum-resistant recurrent ovarian cancer: the AURELIA open-label randomized phase III trial.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014; 32: 1302-1308
- Patient-reported outcome results from the open label phase III AURELIA trial evaluating bevacizumab-containing therapy for platinum-resistant ovarian cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2014; 32: 1309-1316
- OCEANS: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled phase III trial of chemotherapy with or without bevacizumab in patients with platinum-sensitive recurrent epithelial ovarian, primary peritoneal, or fallopian tube cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2012; 30: 2039-2045
- Gynecology Oncology Group incorporation of bevacizumab in the primary treatment of ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2011; 365: 2473-2483
- A phase 3 trial of bevacizumab in ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2011; 365: 2484-2496
- Bevacizumab and paclitaxel-carboplatin chemotherapy and secondary cytoreduction in recurrent, platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer (NRG oncology/gynecologic oncology group study GOG-0213): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18: 779-791
- AKT and mTOR phosphorylation is frequently detected in ovarian cancer and can be targeted to disrupt ovarian tumor cell growth.Oncogene. 2004; 2: 5853-5857
- RAD001 (everolimus) delays tumor onset and progression in a transgenic mouse model of ovarian cancer.Cancer Res. 2007; 67: 2408-2413
- RAD001 inhibits ovarian cancer cell proliferation, enhances cisplatin-induced apoptosis and prolongs survival in an ovarian cancer model.Clin. Cancer Res. 2007; 13: 4261-4270
- Effects of a combined treatment with mTOR inhibitor RAD001 and tamoxifen in vitro on growth and apoptosis of human cancer cells.Gynecol. Oncol. 2006; 102: 292-299
- Afinitor (Everolimus) Tablets for Oral Administration [Prescribing Information]. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, East Hanover, NJ2012
- Integrated genomic analyses of ovarian carcinoma.Nature. 2011; 474: 609-615
- Phase II trial of mTOR inhibitor, temsirolimus, and evaluation of circulating tumor cells and tumor biomarkers in persistent and recurrent epithelial ovarian and primary peritoneal malignancies: a gynecologic oncology study.Gynecol. Oncol. 2011; 123: 19-26
- Temsirolimus in women with platinum-refractory/resistant ovarian cancer or advanced/recurrent endometrial carcinoma. A phase II study of the AGO-study group (AGO-GYN8).Gynecol. Oncol. 2016; 140: 450-456
- Preliminary results of a phase 1 study of bevacizumab in combination with everolimus (RAD001) in patients with advanced solid tumors.J. Clin. Oncol. 2006; 24 (suppl, abstr 3097): 145s
- Phase II trial of bevacizumab and everolimus in patients with advanced renal cell cancer.J. Clin. Oncol. 2010; 28: 2131-2136
- Advanced gynecologic malignancies treated with a combination of the VEGF inhibtor bevacizumab and the mTOR inhibitor temsirolimus.Oncotarget. 2014; 5: 1846-1855
- Stopping when the experimental regimen does not appear to help.Stat. Med. 1994; 13: 1453-1458
- Group Sequential Methods With Applications to Clinical Trials.Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton, FL2000: 49
- Randomized phase II evaluation of bevacizumab versus bevacizumab plus fosbretabulin in recurrent ovarian, tubal, or peritoneal carcinoma: a NRG oncology/gynecologic oncology group study.J. Clin. Oncol. 2016; 34: 2279-2286
- New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors (ovarian cancer).J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2004; 96: 487-488
☆Abstract presented as poster presentation at the 50th Annual ASCO meeting 5/30/14 – 6/3/14 in Chicago, IL.
☆☆This study was supported by National Cancer Institute grants to the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG) Administrative Office ( CA 27469 ), the Gynecologic Oncology Group Statistical Office ( CA 37517 ), NRG Oncology ( 1 U10 CA180822 ) and NRG Operations ( U10CA180868 ). Drs. Aghajanian and Tew are supported in part by the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center Support Grant P30 CA008748 .
☆☆The following Gynecologic Oncology institutions participated in this study: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Duke University Medical Center, Indiana University Hospital/Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center, Cancer Research for the Ozarks NCORP, Women and Infants Hospital, Michigan Cancer Research Consortium Community Clinical Oncology Program, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, University of California Medical Center at Irvine-Orange Campus, The Hospital of Central Connecticut, Carolinas Medical Center/Levine Cancer Institute, Baystate Medical Center, University of California at Los Angeles Health System, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Case Western Reserve University, Washington University School of Medicine, Carle Cancer Center, Abington Memorial Hospital, University of Colorado Cancer Center – Anschutz Cancer Pavilion, Abramson Cancer Center of The University of Pennsylvania, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Rush University Medical Center, Cooper Hospital University Medical Center, Iowa-Wide Oncology Research Coalition NCORP and Upstate Carolina CCOP.