- •We present a population-based prospective cohort study of LNG-IUS users.
- •A mean of 4 years use was associated with 47% reduced ovarian cancer risk.
- •Endometrial cancer risk was reduced by 78%.
- •We found no association between LNG-IUS use and breast cancer.
Abbreviations:BMI (body mass index), CI (confidence interval), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), LNG-IUS (levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system), NOWAC (Norwegian Women and Cancer), OC (oral contraceptives), PY (person-years), RR (relative risk), SD (standard deviation), SIR (standardized incidence ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence And Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 11.International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), Lyon, France2013 (Contract No.: 08–20)
- Cancer Stat Facts: Ovarian Cancer: National Cancer Institute - The Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program.(Available from:)
- Cancer in Norway 2015 - Cancer Incidence, Mortality, Survival and Prevalence in Norway.Cancer Registry of Norway, Oslo2016
- Risk-reducing salpingectomy: let us be opportunistic.Cancer. 2017; 123: 1714-1720
- Ovarian cancer and oral contraceptives: collaborative reanalysis of data from 45 epidemiological studies including 23,257 women with ovarian cancer and 87,303 controls.Lancet. 2008; 371: 303-314
- Reproductive risk factors and endometrial cancer: the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition.Int. J. Cancer. 2010; 127: 442-451
- Breast cancer and hormonal contraceptives: collaborative reanalysis of individual data on 53 297 women with breast cancer and 100 239 women without breast cancer from 54 epidemiological studies.Lancet. 1996; 347: 1713-1727
- Contemporary hormonal contraception and the risk of breast cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 377: 2228-2239
- Oral contraceptive use for the primary prevention of ovarian cancer.in: Report No.: Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 212. Contract No.: AHRQ Publication No. 13-E002-EF. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.: Duke Evidence-based Practice Center, Rockville, MD2013 (June)
- Contraceptive use in the Nordic countries.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 2017; 96: 19-28
- Impact of levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system use on the cancer risk of the ovary and fallopian tube.Acta Oncol. 2016; : 1-4
- Cancer risk in women using the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system in Finland.Obstet. Gynecol. 2014; 124: 292-299
- Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system and the risk of breast cancer: a nationwide cohort study.Acta Oncol. 2016; 55: 188-192
- Levonorgestrel-impregnated intrauterine device as treatment for endometrial hyperplasia: a national multicentre randomised trial.BJOG. 2014; 121: 477-486
- Cohort profile: the Norwegian women and cancer study--NOWAC--Kvinner og kreft.Int. J. Epidemiol. 2008; 37: 36-41
- External validity in a population-based national prospective study--the Norwegian women and cancer study (NOWAC).Cancer Causes Control. 2003; 14: 1001-1008
- Stewart B. Wild C. World Cancer Report 2014. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France2014
- Contraception methods, beyond oral contraceptives and tubal ligation, and risk of ovarian cancer.Ann. Epidemiol. 2011; 21: 188-196
- Use of oral contraceptives, intrauterine devices and tubal sterilization and cancer risk in a large prospective study, from 1996 to 2006.Int. J. Cancer. 2009; 124: 2442-2449
- Oral contraceptive use and impact of cumulative intake of estrogen and progestin on risk of ovarian cancer.Cancer Causes Control. 2013; 24: 2197-2206
- The ‘incessant menstruation’ hypothesis: a mechanistic ovarian cancer model with implications for prevention.Hum. Reprod. 2011; 26: 2262-2273
- Association between endometriosis and risk of histological subtypes of ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of case–control studies.Lancet Oncol. 2012; 13: 385-394
- The origin and pathogenesis of epithelial ovarian cancer: a proposed unifying theory.Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2010; 34: 433-443
- Intrauterine devices and intrauterine systems.Hum. Reprod. Update. 2008; 14: 197-208
- Ovarian function after seven years' use of a levonorgestrel IUD.Adv. Contracept. 1995; 11: 85-95
- Bleeding patterns and clinical performance of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (Mirena) up to two years 1 1Mirena is a registered trademark of Leiras Oy, Turku, Finland.Contraception. 2002; 65: 129-132
- Hormonal etiology of epithelial ovarian cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of androgens and progesterone.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 1774-1786
- Reproductive characteristics in relation to ovarian cancer risk by histologic pathways.Hum. Reprod. 2013; 28: 1406-1417
- Serum and peritoneal fluid levels of levonorgestrel in women with endometriosis who were treated with an intrauterine contraceptive device containing levonorgestrel.Fertil. Steril. 2005; 83: 398-404
- Progestin-induced apoptosis in the macaque ovarian epithelium: differential regulation of transforming growth factor-beta.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2002; 94: 50-60
- Risk for invasive and borderline epithelial ovarian neoplasias following use of hormonal contraceptives: the Norwegian-Swedish Women's lifestyle and health cohort study.Br. J. Cancer. 2004; 90: 1386-1391
- Intrauterine devices and endometrial cancer risk: a pooled analysis of the epidemiology of endometrial cancer consortium.Int. J. Cancer. 2015; 136: E410-E422
- Parity, hormones and breast cancer subtypes - results from a large nested case-control study in a national screening program.Breast Cancer Res. 2017; 19: 10
- Use of exogenous hormones and the risk of breast cancer: results from self-reported survey data with validity assessment.Cancer Causes Control. 2016; 27: 249-258
- Criterion validity of a 10-category scale for ranking physical activity in Norwegian women.Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act. 2012; 9: 2
- Validity of self-reported body mass index among middle-aged participants in the Norwegian Women and Cancer study.Clin. Epidemiol. 2015; 7: 313-323
- Hormone replacement therapy use and plasma levels of sex hormones in the Norwegian Women and Cancerpostgenome cohort - a cross-sectional analysis.BMC Womens Health. 2008; 8: 1
- Society of Gynecologic Oncology recommendations for the prevention of ovarian cancer.Cancer. 2015; 121: 2108-2120
☆Disclaimer: Some of the data in this article are from the Cancer Registry of Norway. The Cancer Registry of Norway is not responsible for the analysis or interpretation of the data presented.