- •60% of women with gynecologic cancers have decreased cognition by MoCa screening.
- •Age, race, education, cancer site and pain were associated with decreased cognition.
- •Decreased cognition was associated with pain > 5, but not with opioid use.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Confronting chemobrain: an in-depth look at survivors' reports of impact on work, social networks, and health care response.J. Cancer Surviv. 2009; 3: 223-232
- Neurocognitive performance in breast cancer survivors exposed to adjuvant chemotherapy and tamoxifen.J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol. 2004; 26: 955-969
- Cognitive dysfunction and cancer: which consequences in terms of disease management?.Psycho-Oncology. 2011; 20: 1251-1258
- Cerebral hyporesponsiveness and cognitive impairment 10 years after chemotherapy for breast cancer.Hum. Brain Mapp. 2011; 32: 1206-1219
- Effects of high-dose and conventional-dose adjuvant chemotherapy on long-term cognitive sequelae in patients with breast cancer: an electrophysiologic study.Clin. Breast Cancer. 2006; 7: 67-78
- Neural correlates of chemotherapy-related cognitive impairment.Cortex. 2014; 54: 33-50
- Cognitive function in breast cancer patients prior to adjuvant treatment.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2008; 110: 143-152
- Acute and late onset cognitive dysfunction associated with chemotherapy in women with breast cancer.Cancer. 2010; 116: 3348-3356
- Frontal gray matter reduction after breast cancer chemotherapy and association with executive symptoms: a replication and extension study.Brain Behav. Immun. 2013; 30: S117-S125
- Clinical characteristics, pathophysiology, and management of noncentral nervous system cancer-related cognitive impairment in adults.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2015; 65: 123-138
- The effect of cancer treatment on cognitive function.Clin. Adv. Hematol. Oncol. 2015; 13
- Cancer and cancer-therapy related cognitive dysfunction: an international perspective from the Venice cognitive workshop.Ann. Oncol. 2008; 19: 623-629
- Mild cognitive impairment after adjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer patients—evaluation of appropriate research design and methodology to measure symptoms.Breast Cancer (Tokyo, Japan). 2005; 12: 279-287
- Chemotherapy altered brain functional connectivity in women with breast cancer: a pilot study.Brain Imaging Behav. 2013; 7: 524-532
- Cognitive deficits as long-term side-effects of adjuvant therapy in breast cancer patients: ‘subjective’ complaints and ‘objective’ neuropsychological test results.Psycho-Oncology. 2009; 18: 775-782
- Cognitive functions in long-term survivors of ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2010; 119: 366-369
- Cognitive function and quality of life in ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2012; 124: 404-409
- The Montreal Cognitive Assessment: validity and utility in a memory clinic setting.Can. J. Psychiatr. 2007; 52: 329-332
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7.Arch. Intern. Med. 2006; 166: 1092-1097
- Impairment of cognitive function in women receiving adjuvant treatment for high-risk breast cancer: high-dose versus standard-dose chemotherapy.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 210-218
- The cognitive effects of the administration of narcotic analgesics in patients with cancer pain.Pain. 1989; 39: 13-16
- Neuropsychological performance in cancer patients: the role of oral opioids, pain and performance status.Pain. 2000; 86: 237-245
- Attention and somatic awareness in chronic pain.Pain. 1997; 72: 209-215
- The cognitive effects of opioids.Pain Manag. Nurs. 2004; 5: 75-93
- Alertness, cognition and morphine in patients with advanced cancer.Cancer Treat. Rev. 1996; 22: 451-468
- Reaction time in cancer patients receiving peripherally acting analgesics alone or in combination with opioids.Acta Anaesthesiol. Scand. 1992; 36: 480-482
- The assessment of pain intensity in patients with cognitive failure: a preliminary report.J. Pain Symptom Manag. 1992; 7: 267-270
- Driving ability in cancer patients receiving long-term morphine analgesia.Lancet (London, England). 1995; 346: 667-670
- Prevalence and predictors of cognitive dysfunction in opioid-treated patients with cancer: a multinational study.J. Clin. Oncol. Off. J. Am. Soc. Clin. Oncol. 2011; 29: 1297-1303
- Pre-treatment factors related to cognitive functioning in women newly diagnosed with breast cancer.Psycho-Oncology. 2005; 14: 70-78
- Cognitive function during and six months following chemotherapy for front line treatment of ovarian, primary peritoneal or fallopian tube cancer: an NRG oncology/gynecologic group study.Gynecol. Oncol. 2015; 139: 541-545
- Non-invasive transcranial direct current stimulation for the study and treatment of neuropathic pain.Methods Mol. Biol. 2010; 617: 505-515
☆This work was supported in part by the NIH K12CA 132783-03 .
☆☆A portion of this work was presented at the 2014 Meeting of the Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
☆☆☆Precis: Clinically significant pain, but not opioid use, was associated with decreased cognition in women with gynecologic malignancies.