- •Homologous recombination (HR) defects are common in ovarian cancer, suggesting a role for PARP inhibitors.
- •No predictive assay for HR defects exists, but Rad51 is a reliable marker for HR.
- •An ex-vivo IR assay using Rad51 foci formation accurately predicts PARP-inhibitor response.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2014; 64: 9-29
- Ovarian cancer statistics.American Cancer Society, 2012 ([Accessed August 5, 2012, at])
- Ovarian cancer: strategies for overcoming resistance to chemotherapy.Nat Rev Cancer. 2003; 3: 502-516
- Brca1 controls homology-directed DNA repair.Mol Cell. 1999; 4: 511-518
- Involvement of Brca2 in DNA repair.Mol Cell. 1998; 1: 347-357
- Nuclear foci of mammalian Rad51 recombination protein in somatic cells after DNA damage and its localization in synaptonemal complexes.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995; 92: 2298-2302
- Dynamic changes of BRCA1 subnuclear location and phosphorylation state are initiated by DNA damage.Cell. 1997; 90: 425-435
- BRCA2 is required for ionizing radiation-induced assembly of Rad51 complex in vivo.Cancer Res. 1999; 59: 3547-3551
- The carboxyl-terminal of BRCA1 is required for subnuclear assembly of RAD51 after treatment with cisplatin but not ionizing radiation in human breast and ovarian cancer cells.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005; 336: 952-960
- Targeted disruption of the Rad51 gene leads to lethality in embryonic mice.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996; 93: 6236-6240
- A mutation in mouse rad51 results in an early embryonic lethal that is suppressed by a mutation in p53.Mol Cell Biol. 1996; 16: 7133-7143
- Integrated genomic analyses of ovarian carcinoma.Nature. 2011; 474: 609-615
- Comparison of methods for evaluating drug–drug interaction.Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2010; 2: 241-249
- Drug combination studies and their synergy quantification using the Chou–Talalay method.Cancer Res. 2010; 70: 440-446
- Cetuximab augments cytotoxicity with poly (adp-ribose) polymerase inhibition in head and neck cancer.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e24148
- The poly(ADP-Ribose) polymerase inhibitor ABT-888 reduces radiation-induced nuclear EGFR and augments head and neck tumor response to radiotherapy.Radiother Oncol. 2011; 99: 331-338
- Targeting aldehyde dehydrogenase cancer stem cells in ovarian cancer.Mol Cancer Ther. 2010; 9: 3186-3199
- Sanger Institute Cancer Genome Project.(Accessed February 5, 2014, at)
- Gene expression profile of BRCAness that correlates with responsiveness to chemotherapy and with outcome in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3555-3561
- A marker of homologous recombination predicts pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in primary breast cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16: 6159-6168
- Evaluating cell lines as tumour models by comparison of genomic profiles.Nat Commun. 2013; 4: 2126
- Tumorgrafts as in vivo surrogates for women with ovarian cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 1288-1297
- Oral poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor olaparib in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations and recurrent ovarian cancer: a proof-of-concept trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 245-251
- Poly(ADP)-ribose polymerase inhibition: frequent durable responses in BRCA carrier ovarian cancer correlating with platinum-free interval.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 2512-2519
- Prevalence and penetrance of germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in a population series of 649 women with ovarian cancer.Am J Hum Genet. 2001; 68: 700-710
- Olaparib maintenance therapy in platinum-sensitive relapsed ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1382-1392
- Olaparib in patients with recurrent high-grade serous or poorly differentiated ovarian carcinoma or triple-negative breast cancer: a phase 2, multicentre, open-label, non-randomised study.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 852-861
- Development of a functional assay for homologous recombination status in primary cultures of epithelial ovarian tumor and correlation with sensitivity to poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors.Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16: 2344-2351
- Germline and somatic mutations in homologous recombination genes predict platinum response and survival in ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal carcinomas.Clin Cancer Res. 2014; 20: 764-775
- Contextual synthetic lethality of cancer cell kill based on the tumor microenvironment.Cancer Res. 2010; 70: 8045-8054
- The Cancer Cell Line Encyclopedia enables predictive modelling of anticancer drug sensitivity.Nature. 2012; 483: 603-607
- COSMIC: mining complete cancer genomes in the Catalogue of Somatic Mutations in Cancer.Nucleic Acids Res. 2011; 39: D945-D950
- Heterozygous ATR mutations in mismatch repair-deficient cancer cells have functional significance.Cancer Res. 2005; 65: 7091-7095