- Older age, lack of family history, and poor survival are associated with decreased clinical identification of BRCA1/2 mutations.
- Testing should be initiated at time of diagnosis to maximize identification and minimize survival bias.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations account for a large proportion of ovarian carcinoma cases.Cancer. 2005 Dec 15; 104: 2807-2816
- Prevalence and penetrance of germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in a population series of 649 women with ovarian cancer.Am J Hum Genet. 2001; 68: 700-710
- Frequencies of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations among 1,342 unselected patients with invasive ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2011 May 1; 121: 353-357
- Breast and ovarian cancer risks due to inherited mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2.Science. 2003 Oct 24; 302: 643-646
- Pathology of ovarian cancers in BRCA1 and BRCA2 carriers.Clin Cancer Res. 2004 Apr 1; 10: 2473-2481
- Histopathologic features of genetically determined ovarian cancer.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2002 Oct; 21: 407-411
- Association between BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations and survival in women with invasive epithelial ovarian cancer.JAMA. 2012 Jan 25; 307: 382-390
- BRCA mutation frequency and patterns of treatment response in BRCA mutation-positive women with ovarian cancer: a report from the Australian Ovarian Cancer Study Group.J Clin Oncol. 2012 Jul 20; 30: 2654-2663
- Mortality after bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: a prospective cohort study.Lancet Oncol. 2006 Mar; 7: 223-229
- Risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy for the prevention of BRCA1- and BRCA2-associated breast and gynecologic cancer: a multicenter, prospective study.J Clin Oncol. 2008 Mar 10; 26: 1331-1337
- Meta-analysis of risk reduction estimates associated with risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009 Jan 21; 101: 80-87
- Specific killing of BRCA2-deficient tumours with inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase.Nature. 2005 Apr 14; 434: 913-917
- Targeting the DNA repair defect in BRCA mutant cells as a therapeutic strategy.Nature. 2005 Apr 14; 434: 917-921
- Clinicopathologic features of BRCA-linked and sporadic ovarian cancer.JAMA. 2000 May 3; 283: 2260-2265
- Improved survival in women with BRCA-associated ovarian carcinoma.Cancer. 2003 May 1; 97: 2187-2195
- Effect of BRCA1/2 mutations on long-term survival of patients with invasive ovarian cancer: the national Israeli study of ovarian cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2008 Jan 1; 26: 20-25
- Outcomes of primary surgical cytoreduction in patients with BRCA-associated high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma.Gynecol Oncol. 2012 Aug; 126: 224-228
- Clinical and pathological features of ovarian cancer in women with germ-line mutations of BRCA1.N Engl J Med. 1996; 335: 1413-1416
- "BRCAness" syndrome in ovarian cancer: a case-control study describing the clinical features and outcome of patients with epithelial ovarian cancer associated with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.J Clin Oncol. 2008 Dec 1; 26: 5530-5536
- Association of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations with survival, chemotherapy sensitivity, and gene mutator phenotype in patients with ovarian cancer.JAMA. 2011 Oct 12; 306: 1557-1565
- Detection of inherited mutations for breast and ovarian cancer using genomic capture and massively parallel sequencing.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Jul 13; 107: 12629-12633
- Mutations in 12 genes for inherited ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal carcinoma identified by massively parallel sequencing.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Nov 1; 108: 18032-18037
- Breast Cancer Information Core Databases.(Available from:)
- Uptake of clinical genetic testing for ovarian cancer in Ontario: a population-based study.Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Jan; 112: 68-72
- Germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in ovarian cancer: utility of a histology-based referral strategy.Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Aug; 120: 235-240
- Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Breast and Ovarian Cancer.2012 ([Available from: nccn.org.])
- Oral poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor olaparib in patients with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations and recurrent ovarian cancer: a proof-of-concept trial.Lancet. 2010 Jul 24; 376: 245-251
- Inhibition of poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase in tumors from BRCA mutation carriers.N Engl J Med. 2009 Jul 9; 361: 123-134
☆Financial support: This work was supported by National Institutes of Health Grants RO1CA131965 , RO1CA157744 , and P50CA083636 , the Breast Cancer Research Foundation , Susan G. Komen for the Cure , and Department of Defense Ovarian Cancer Research Program OC093285 .