This study prospectively assessed the effects of exemestane and tamoxifen on the endometrium in patients receiving adjuvant treatment for postmenopausal hormone receptor-positive breast cancer within the Tamoxifen Exemestane Adjuvant Multicenter (TEAM) trial.
Patients were randomized to receive tamoxifen or exemestane. In a prespecified trial subprotocol, patients underwent transvaginal ultrasound to assess endometrial thickness at baseline and during a 1- to 3-year treatment period.
Among 143 evaluable patients, there were no cases of endometrial thickness >10 mm with exemestane, vs. 11 cases with tamoxifen (p<0.0003). There was a significant difference between the treatment groups regarding time to endometrial thickness >10 mm, in favour of exemestane (p<0.0001). Time to endometrial thickness >5 mm was significantly longer for exemestane than for tamoxifen (p<0.0001). Median time to endometrial thickness >5 mm or censoring was 583 days in the exemestane group versus 315 days in the tamoxifen group. There were also significantly fewer incidences of endometrial thickness >5 mm at month 6 and month 12 with exemestane compared to tamoxifen (tamoxifen: 6% and 2%; exemestane: 29% and 39%, respectively). After 12 months, mean increases in endometrial thickness from baseline were 2.64 mm and 6.0 mm in the exemestane and tamoxifen groups, respectively (p<0.0006). Moreover, 17 histologically confirmed endometrial changes were observed in the tamoxifen group, vs. one in the exemestane group.
Exemestane was associated with significantly less endometrial thickening than tamoxifen during adjuvant endocrine therapy for postmenopausal hormone receptor-positive breast cancer.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gynecologic Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Selective estrogen receptor modulators: structure, function, and clinical use.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 3172-3186
- Selective estrogen-receptor modulators for primary prevention of breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 1644-1655
- Endometrial changes with chronic tamoxifen use.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 9: 160-164
- Tamoxifen and the uterus and endometrium.Lancet. 1989; 1: 375
- Tamoxifen for early breast cancer: an overview of the randomised trials. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group.Lancet. 1998; 351: 1451-1467
- No. 336: Tamoxifen and uterine cancer.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 1475-1478
- NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: breast cancer V.1.2010
- Survival and safety of exemestane versus tamoxifen after 2–3 years' tamoxifen treatment (Intergroup Exemestane Study): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2007; 369: 559-570
- Five years of letrozole compared with tamoxifen as initial adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with endocrine-responsive early breast cancer: update of study BIG 1-98.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 486-492
- Effect of anastrozole and tamoxifen as adjuvant treatment for early-stage breast cancer: 100-month analysis of the ATAC trial.Lancet Oncol. 2008; 9: 45-53
- Progress and promise: highlights of the international expert consensus on the primary therapy of early breast cancer 2007.Ann Oncol. 2007; 18: 1133-1144
- Xenograft models for aromatase inhibitor studies.J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007; 106: 119-124
- The effect of an aromatase inhibitor, 4-hydroxy-4-androstene-3, 17-dione, on estrogen-dependent processes in reproduction and breast cancer.Endocrinology. 1977; 100: 1684-1695
- The ATAC (‘Arimidex’, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) adjuvant breast cancer trial: first results of the endometrial sub-protocol following 2 years of treatment.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 545-553
- A lower incidence of gynecologic adverse events and interventions with anastrozole than with tamoxifen in the ATAC trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 80-87
- Safety profiles of tamoxifen and the aromatase inhibitors in adjuvant therapy of hormone-responsive early breast cancer.Ann Oncol. 2007; 18: viii26-viii35
- A randomized trial of exemestane after two to three years of tamoxifen therapy in postmenopausal women with primary breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 1081-1092
- Improved overall survival in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer after anastrozole initiated after treatment with tamoxifen compared with continued tamoxifen: the ARNO 95 Study.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 2664-2670
- Toxicity and response criteria of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group.Am J Clin Oncol. 1982; 5: 649-655
- Effects of tamoxifen on uterus and ovaries of postmenopausal women in a randomised breast cancer prevention trial.Lancet. 1994; 343: 1318-1321
- Results of the first planned analysis of the TEAM (tamoxifen exemestane adjuvant multinational) prospective randomized phase III trial in hormone sensitive postmenopausal early breast cancer.in: Oral presentation at San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium (SABCS), San Antonio, Texas, USA, 10-14 December. 2008
- Long-term endometrial effects in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer participating in the Intergroup Exemestane Study (IES)—a randomised controlled trial of exemestane versus continued tamoxifen after 2–3 years tamoxifen.Ann Oncol. 2010; 21: 498-505
- Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years' adjuvant treatment for breast cancer.Lancet. 2005; 365: 60-62
- A comparison of letrozole and tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2747-2757
- Endometrial cancer in tamoxifen-treated breast cancer patients: findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) B-14.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1994; 86: 527-537
- Switching to anastrozole versus continued tamoxifen treatment of early breast cancer. Updated results of the Italian tamoxifen anastrozole (ITA) trial.Ann Oncol. 2006; 17: vii10-vii14
- Aromatase inhibitors reverse tamoxifen induced endometrial ultrasonographic changes in postmenopausal breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007; 101: 185-190
- Long-term “protective” effect of aromatase inhibitors on the endometrium of postmenopausal breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009; 113: 321-326
Received: February 10, 2010
© 2010 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.