To retrospectively evaluate the accuracy of magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for the prediction of depth of myometrial invasion in the preoperative assessment of women with endometrial carcinoma.
We retrospectively reviewed the medical records and MR imaging reports of 120 women with pathologically-proven endometrial carcinoma who underwent preoperative pelvic MR imaging between June 1997 and February 2006. Tumor signal intensity, the appearance of the junctional zone (JZ), the presence of large polypoid tumors and leiomyomas were analyzed. Univariate logistic-regression analysis was performed to identify associations between incorrect MR staging and the study variables.
Data from 120 patients were registered for the current study and analyzed. The sensitivity, specificity and accuracy of the MR imaging in assessment of myometrial invasion among patients with endometrial carcinoma were: 50.6%, 89.2% and 62.5% respectively. MR differentiation of deep myometrial invasion from superficial disease had an 83.3% accuracy (100 of 120 cases). Isointense JZ to myometrium (P<0.001), and the presence of polypoid tumors (P=0.037) on MR imaging were significantly associated with an underestimation of myometrial invasion by endometrial carcinoma.
Isointense JZ to myometrium and polypoid tumors are difficult to accurately evaluate for myometrial invasion of endometrial carcinoma by MR imaging.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gynecologic Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2006.CA Cancer J. Clin. 2006; 56: 106-130
- Surgical pathologic spread patterns of endometrial cancer. A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.Cancer. 1987; 60: 2035-2041
- Relationship between surgical–pathological risk factors and outcome in clinical stage I and II carcinoma of the endometrium: A Gynecologic Oncology Group study.Gynecol. Oncol. 1991; 40: 55-65
- Correlation between clinical and histopathologic risk factors and lymph node metastases in early endometrial cancer (a multivariate analysis of 183 cases).Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 1994; 4: 306-309
- Prognosis and treatment of endometrial cancer.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1980; 136: 679-688
- Paraaortic lymph node evaluation in stage I endometrial carcinoma.Obstet. Gynecol. 1982; 59: 97-100
- Use of preoperative MR imaging in the management of endometrial carcinoma: cost analysis.Radiology. 2000; 215: 45-49
- MR imaging evaluation of endometrial carcinoma: results of an NCI cooperative study.Radiology. 1991; 179: 829-832
- Myometrial invasion by endometrial carcinoma: assessment by MR imaging.AJR, Am. J. Roentgenol. 1992; 158: 565-569
- Myometrial invasion by endometrial carcinoma: assessment with plain and gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging.Radiology. 1992; 185: 207-212
- Preoperative staging of endometrial carcinoma: diagnostic effect of T2-weighted fast spin-echo MR imaging.Radiology. 1998; 206: 539-547
- Radiologic staging in patients with endometrial cancer: a meta-analysis.Radiology. 1999; 212: 711-718
- Prediction of deep myometrial invasion in patients with endometrial cancer: clinical utility of contrast-enhanced MR imaging—a meta-analysis and Bayesian analysis.Radiology. 2000; 216: 444-449
- Endometrial carcinoma: dynamic MRI with turbo-FLASH technique.J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 1996; 20: 878-887
- Endometrial carcinoma: assessment of myometrial invasion with plain and gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging.J. Magn. Reson. Imaging. 2000; 12: 460-466
- Assessment of depth of myometrial invasion by endometrial carcinoma: comparison of T2-weighted SE and contrast-enhanced dynamic GRE MR imaging.Eur. Radiol. 1998; 8: 218-223
- Myometrial invasion of endometrial carcinoma: assessment with dynamic MR and contrast-enhanced T1-weighted images.Clin. Radiol. 1997; 52: 18-23
- A comparative study of pre-operative procedures to assess cervical invasion by endometrial carcinoma.Br. J. Obstet. Gynaecol. 1998; 105: 512-516
- Uterine cervical carcinoma: evaluation of pelvic lymph node metastasis with MR imaging.Radiology. 1994; 190: 807-811
- Comparison of dynamic helical CT and dynamic MR imaging in the evaluation of pelvic lymph nodes in cervical carcinoma.AJR, Am. J. Roentgenol. 2000; 175: 759-766
- Cancer of the endometrium: value of MR imaging in determining depth of invasion into the myometrium.AJR, Am. J. Roentgenol. 1991; 157: 1221-1223
- Carcinoma of the uterus: use of gadopentetate dimeglumine in MR imaging.Radiology. 1991; 181: 95-106
- Preliminary experience with gadolinium-enhanced dynamic MR imaging for uterine neoplasms.Radiographics. 1992; 12: 243-256
- Normal uterus and FIGO stage I endometrial carcinoma: dynamic gadolinium-enhanced MR imaging.Radiology. 1993; 186: 495-501
- Endometrial carcinoma staging by MR imaging.Radiology. 1987; 162: 297-305
- Risk factors and recurrent patterns in Stage I endometrial cancer.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1985; 151: 1009-1015
- Comparison of clinical and surgical-staging in patients with endometrial carcinoma.Obstet. Gynecol. 1985; 66: 413-416
- Surgical staging in endometrial cancer: clinical–pathologic findings of a prospective study.Obstet. Gynecol. 1984; 63: 825-832
- Clinical stage I endometrial carcinoma: pitfalls in preoperative assessment with MR imaging. Work in progress.Radiology. 1995; 194: 567-572
- Detection of deep myometrial invasion in endometrial carcinoma: comparison of transvaginal ultrasound, CT, and MRI.J. Comput. Assist. Tomogr. 1995; 19: 766-772
- Preoperative assessment of myometrial invasion of endometrial adenocarcinoma by sonography (US) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).Gynecol. Oncol. 1989; 34: 175-179
- Imaging of cancer of the endometrium.Radiol. Clin. North Am. 2002; 40: 563-576
- Staging of early endometrial carcinoma: assessment with T2-weighted and gadolinium-enhanced T1-weighted MR imaging.Radiographics. 1999; 19 ([discussion 46-7]): 937-945
- Imaging of endometrial adenocarcinoma.Clin. Radiol. 2006; 61: 545-555
- Local–regional staging of endometrial carcinoma: role of MR imaging in surgical planning.Radiology. 2004; 231: 372-378
- Magnetic resonance imaging in stage I endometrial carcinoma.Obstet. Gynecol. 1990; 75: 274-277
- Uterine changes after dilation and curettage: MR imaging findings.Radiology. 1991; 180: 433-435
Received: August 23, 2006
© 2006 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.