Objectives. To determine whether there is a relationship between histologic subtype of epithelial ovarian cancer and chemoresistance, we evaluated ovarian carcinomas of six histologic subtypes and correlated histology with in vitro drug response. Biomarker profiles (p53, Her-2 neu, and EGFR) were also evaluated to determine if their expression patterns were associated with histology.
Methods. In vitro drug response profiles for different histologic subsets of epithelial ovarian carcinomas exposed to standard relevant chemotherapy agents were determined in the Extreme Drug Resistance assay (EDR). Immunohistochemistry techniques were employed to determine biomarker expression.
Results. Of 5195 referred serial cases of epithelial ovarian cancer, there were 2660 papillary serous, 303 endometrioid, 142 mucinous, 102 clear cell, 952 undifferentiated carcinomas, and 42 tumors of low malignant potential. For the samples as a whole, the incidences of extreme drug resistance to the tested chemotherapeutic agents were cisplatin 10%, carboplatin 16%, cyclophosphamide 16%, doxorubicin 40%, gemcitabine 21%, paclitaxel 22%, and topotecan 13%. When compared to papillary serous tumors, mucinous tumors were more frequently resistant to cisplatin (10% vs. 18%) but less frequently resistant to topotecan (13% vs. 5%) and doxorubicin (42% vs. 16%). Endometrioid tumors were less resistant to cisplatin (10% vs. 6%) and doxorubicin (42% vs. 20%). Clear cell and undifferentiated tumors had the lowest rates of EDR to paclitaxel (13% and 18%) and cyclophosphamide (7% and 11%), while borderline tumors showed high rates of EDR to these agents (52% and 63%, respectively). With respect to biomarker profiles, mP53 was detected in 46%, Her-2 neu in 16%, and EGFR in 30% of the cases evaluated. As compared to all other subtypes, clear cell carcinomas had significantly higher Her-2 neu expression (19%). Relative to papillary serous carcinomas, borderline tumors exhibited significantly lower rates of mP53 expression (60% vs.17%).
Conclusions. We found significant differences in the frequencies of extreme drug resistance to chemotherapeutic agents and biomarker expression among histologic subtypes of epithelial ovarian cancer. The data collected in this investigation may provide a guide for stratification of patients entering clinical trials based on histology and biomarker expression.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gynecologic Oncology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ovarian carcinoma: a multivariate analysis prognostic factors.Obstet. Gynecol. 1985; 65: 264-269
- Long term follow-up and prognostic factor analysis in advanced ovarian carcinoma: the gynecologic oncology group experience.J Clin Oncol. 1991; 9: 1138-1150
- The prognostic significance of residual disease, FIGO substage, tumor histology, and grade in patients with FIGO stage III ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 1995; 56: 175-180
- Predictive factors for long-term survival in patients with advanced ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 1989; 34: 88-93
- Carcinoma of the Ovary.J. Epidemiol. Biostat. 2001; 6
- Importance of histologic grading in prognosis of epithelial ovarian carcinoma.Obstet. Gynecol. 1982; 59: 576-582
- Histologic typing of ovarian tumors: International Histological Classification of Tumors.World Health Organization, Geneva1973
- Endometrioid carcinoma of the ovary: a clinicopathologic study of 75 cases.Cancer. 1970; 26: 1141-1152
- Clinical characteristics of clear cell carcinoma of the ovary: a distinct histology with poor prognosis and resistance to platinum-based chemotherapy.Cancer. 2000; 88: 2584-2589
- Clinical characteristics of clear cell carcinoma of the ovary.Gynecol. Oncol. 1998; 70: 255-258
- Predictors of response to subsequent chemotherapy in platinum pretreated ovarian cancer: a multivariate analysis of 704 patients.Ann. Oncol. 1997; 8: 963-968
- Complete cytoreduction: is epithelial ovarian cancer confined to the pelvis biologically different from bulky abdominal disease?.Gynecol. Oncol. 1999; : 176-180
- Histologic correlates of virulence in ovarian adenocarcinoma.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1982; 143: 574-580
- Fruehauf Breast cancer survival and In vitro tumor response in the extreme drug resistance assay.Breast Cancer Res. Treat. 2001; 1915: 1-12
- Association between in vitro platinum resistance in the EDR assay and clinical outcomes for ovarian cancer patients.Gynecol. Oncol. 2002; 87: 8-16
- Highly specific prediction of antineoplastic drug resistance with an in vitro assay using suprapharmacologic drug exposures.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1990; 82: 582-588
- Small, Phase III randomized study of cisplatin versus paclitaxel versus cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with suboptimal stage III or IV ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.J. Clin. Oncol. 2000; 18: 106-115
- Cyclophosphamide and cisplatin compared with paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with stage III and stage IV ovarian cancer.N. Engl. J. Med. 1996; 334: 1-6
- Endometrioid adenocarcinoma of the ovary and it's relationship to endometriosis.Gynecol. Oncol. 1995; 59: 81-86
- Toward the development of a universal grading system for ovarian epithelial carcinoma. I. Prognostic significance of histopathologic features—problems involved in the architectural grading system.Gynecol. Oncol. 1998; 70: 2-12
- A retrospective study of 370 borderline tumors of the ovary treated at the Norwegian radium hospital from 1979 to 1982. A review of clinicopathological features and treatment modalities.Cancer. 1993; 71: 1810
- Overexpression of the oncogene c-erb B2 in primary ovarian cancer: evaluation of the prognostic value in cox proportional hazards multiple regression.Int. J. Gynecol. Pathol. 1994; 13: 45-53
- Prevalence and significance of HER-2/neu expression in early epithelial ovarian cancer.Cancer. 1994; 73: 1456-1459
- p53, c-erbB-2 and p21ras expression in tumor effusion cells in patients with histopathologically different ovarian neoplasms.Anticancer Res. 1997; 17: 3545-3552
- Immunohistochemical detection of p53 protein in borderline and malignant serous ovarian tumors.Int. J. Gynecol. 1994; 13: 228-233
- p53 mutation in a series of epithelial ovarian cancers from the U.K., and its prognostic significance.Eur. J. Cancer. 1994; 30A: 1701-1704
- The expression of EGFR receptors, EGF-like factors and c-myc in ovarian and cervical carcinomas and their potential clinical significance.Anticancer Res. 1989 (Nov–Dec); 9: 1537-1547
- Overexpression of c-erb-2 in epithelial ovarian cancer. Prognostic value and relationship with response to chemotherapy.Cancer. 1995; 75: 2147-2152
- Biomarker conservation in primary and Metastatic epithelial ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2000; 78: 130-136
- Prognostic significance of HER-2/neu expression in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer: a multivariate analysis.Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1993; 168: 162-169
- Overexpression of HER-2/neu is associated with poor survival in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer.Cancer Res. 1990; 50: 4087-4091
- NEU overexpression in benign, borderline, and malignant ovarian neoplasms.Gynecol. Oncol. 1992; 44: 245-253
- HER-amplification and topoisomerase IIalpha gene aberrations as predictive markers in node-positive breast cancer patients randomly treated either with an anthracycline-based therapy or with cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and 5-fluorouracil.Clin. Cancer. Res. 2002; 8: 1107-1116
- p53 and Ki-ras mutations in epithelial ovarian neoplasms.Cancer Res. 1993; 53: 3103-3108
- Genetic disparity between morphologically benign cysts contiguous to ovarian carcinomas and solitary cystadenomas.J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 1995; 87: 1146-1153
- Gene expression profiles of serous, endometrioid, and clear cell subtypes of ovarian and endometrial cancers.Gynecol. Oncol. 2003; 88 (Abstract #90): 88-200
- ATP chemosensitivity testing in ovarian and breast cancer: early clinical trials.Recent Results Cancer Res. 2003; 161: 221-230
- The efficacy of individualized chemotherapy selected by in vitro drug resistance testing for women with recurrence epithelial ovarian cancer.Gynecol. Oncol. 2003; 88 (Abstract #189): 246
- Assay assisted treatment selection for women with breast or ovarian cancer.Endocr. Relat. Cancer. 2002; 9: 171-182
- Cost effective treatment of women with advanced ovarian cancer by cytoreductive surgery and chemotherapy directed by an in vitro assay for drug resistance.Cancer J. Sci. Am. 1999; 5: 174-178
Received: March 24, 2003
© 2003 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.